CEEP Frequently Asked Questions

2014-2015 Competition


Q. What are the Canisius Earning Excellence Program (CEEP) Awards?

CEEP awards are intended to fund unique learning experiences for undergraduate students working in close cooperation with a faculty member.  The variety of possible CEEP projects is very broad, but in each case there should be a tangible product or output that is available for presentation, performance or peer review, such as at a research conference, a case study competition, or Ignatian Scholarship Day.  Projects that do not have this student output component will normally be rejected by the CEEP reviewers.  The required cumulative GPA is  3.25.or higher.

Q. What type of projects are eligible for science research CEEP awards?

Some examples of science research CEEP projects:

  • Science lab research assistants on faculty research projects
  • Running of subjects and collection of research protocols
  • Independent student research directed by a faculty member                              
Q. What kind of non-science research or project work gets funded?

Some examples of available CEEP work:

  • Independent library or electronic research
  • Abstract and bibliography work for humanities or social sciences professors
  • Statistics and computer graphics work
  • Survey construction and analysis of results
  • College self-study work or institutional research managed by a senior administrator
  • Case study compilation for a business course
  • Report writing or drafting
  • Translation to and from a foreign language
Q. What would not be funded?

Anything that is repetitive or routine and involves no sophisticated higher level of intellectual or learning activity would not be funded such as:  typing, filing, copying, phone reception work, errands, simple calculations and form filling, room reservations, hospitality or food work, equipment and materials inventory.  Such work is noble in itself and vital to every organization, but does not fit the goals of CEEP.  Any project that does not lead to a specific student product or outcome will normally not be funded.

Q. How do I get a position?

There is no job bank or listing.  The student must develop the project by finding a professor, administrator, or off campus manager or executive who will consult closely to develop the project and agree to supervise if you are awarded a grant.  The best way to proceed is to go to the professor in your field who seems to have appreciated your class or lab work and inquire if you could serve as his or her CEEP grant assistant.  A second strategy would be to approach the chairperson of your major department and have him or her recommend you to the faculty member who would seem most interested in your services or to an off-campus contact.  If you have your own significant contacts off campus, you can approach them yourself, but remember that the supervisor will have to understand the educational and intellectual goals of the grant.  You shouldn't be just another worker.

Q. If I'm a freshman and don't know enough faculty in my area, what can I do?

Start with the department chairperson who knows well the interests of faculty in the department and who has many professional contacts outside the institution as well.  If you have any contact with deans, vice presidents, and directors, they too may be approached.  It may take some self-confidence and serious prospecting work, but that's part of the learning experience.

Q. What are the chances of getting funded?

About 500 people are eligible to apply.  This year, an estimated 80 students will apply and 65 grants will be awarded (about 40 continuing and 25 new proposals).  So your chances are about 1 in 6 among all eligible, and about 4 in 5 of all applicants.

Q. How will decisions be made?

Science faculty will judge the science research projects.  A panel of faculty in other fields will judge the non-science projects.  Awards will be announced by postings on campus and letters will be mailed to the award winners.

Q. If I have any additional questions, what do I do?
  • For Non-Science project CEEP awards contact Kathy Peter, Academic Affairs Office, Bagen Hall Room 205, x2121.
  • For Science Research project CEEP awards contact Dr. Susan Aronica, Biology Department, Health Science Room 304B, x3160.