Center for Service-Learning
In Service-Learning, students learn how to apply ideas, theories, and models to social issues in a practical context while gaining insights from practitioners in community-based organizations.
Service-Learning, is a pedagogical method that enables students to apply course concepts to a “real life” experience that meets a community need and to reflect upon all aspects. It involves student work generally with disadvantaged and under-served individuals or groups. Course objectives and student community work are fundamentally integrated throughout the semester. The basic aim of Service-Learning is two-fold: first, that students’ service will heighten the understanding of central academic themes, goals, or subject matter in their courses; second, that the academic course content will facilitate students’ ability to reflect in deep and meaningful ways on their experiences as agents of social justice.
Mission and Vision:
The Center for Service-Learning incorporates community service within the academic experience at Canisius, principally through the pedagogical method of service-learning. Through service, students are given the opportunity to live out the cornerstones of the Jesuit mission and values.
Canisius students will be transformed by a meaningful service-learning experience to become men and women with and for others, striving for excellence in all things (magis), promoting social justice and reflecting upon how the reciprocal relationships between academics and service experiences have helped them to increase their awareness of the needs of others.
Learning Goals and Objectives:
- Goal 1: Complement traditional academic instruction with the Service-Learning pedagogical method
- Objective 1: The Center for Service-Learning incorporates service-learning into academic courses through experiences with community partners.
- Objective 2: Continue to work with each academic school at Canisius in order to eventually assure students will be involved in atleast one service-learning course over a four-year course of study.
- Objective 3: Place the following elements of the ignatiain pedagogical principle into the classroom learning dynamic:
- Objective 4: Demonstrate that service-learning allows student to practice the cornerstones of the Jesuit mission and values.