Canisius College Western New York Prosperity Fellowship
Supported by the Prentice Family Foundation
The WNY Prosperity Fellows at Canisius College
The Prentice Family Foundation was created in 2007 by generous benefactors Bryant and Joan Prentice to serve as a philanthropic organization that leverages economic development through scholarship support, and to ultimately make a multi-generational impact on WNY. The WNY Prosperity Scholarship program was built on the Prentice Foundation’s goals to support and grow an individual’s capacity to create, adapt and apply. To find out more about the Prentice Family Foundation please click here.
The Canisius College Western New York (WNY) Prosperity Fellowship program is a truly innovative fellowship program for students with an entrepreneurial drive who want to make a difference in Western New York. Canisius Prosperity Fellows combine scholarship assistance with credit-bearing internships to gain both academic and practical experiences in their intended professions. Prosperity Fellows are given the opportunity to intern in their chosen fields of interest, where they work alongside and are mentored by leaders in upper-level management. Additionally, they are eligible for a significant scholarship opportunity and unique events designed to build networks and skills in addition to the Canisius educational experience. In return Prosperity Fellows must commit to working, and therefore giving back economically, in WNY for at least two years within a decade of obtaining their degree from Canisius.
Upon receiving the Western New York Prosperity Fellowship, students must:
- Agree to work in Western New York for at least two years within a decade of attaining a degree.
- Agree to participate in and complete a suitable credit bearing internship. Undergraduate and graduate continuing students will complete the internship in Summer of 2016. New graduate business students will complete the internship in Summer of 2017.
- Participate in any activities designed to thank and recognize the Prentice Family Foundation for their support.
- Actively participate in Fellowship programing and events throughout the Summer, Fall and Spring semesters of your award year.
Each Prosperity Fellow is required to participate in a credit-bearing summer internship.
The Foundation’s award will support student internship compensation up to the maximum defined below, if the employer provides no compensation.
- For graduate students, $15 per hour for total of $5400 in compensation
- For undergraduate students, $12 per hour for a total of $4320 in compensation
Internships must be:
- Credit bearing, meeting the rquirements for a credit-bearing internship with such assignments as performance evaluations and reflection papers.
- Consistent with student’s academic major.
- Consistent with student’s career objectives.
- In areas that demonstrate high potential for job creation and economic revitalization.
- Carefully supervised by full-time professionals in that field.
- Approved by Canisius.
If you are interested in having a WNY Prosperity Fellow intern at your company, please fill out this survey.
On top of hands-on career experience through an internship, Prosperity Fellows are also eligible for fellowship assistance during the academic year. Awards vary in size and may be significant depending on a student’s unmet financial need. This support is intended to offset tuition and related academic costs (room and board, book allowance, etc.) for a full academic year and requires a summer internship. Unmet need is defined as each student’s total cost less the expected family contribution and all additional scholarships, grants and federal loans.The federal FAFSA will define the expected family contribution.
The Prosperity Fellowship Program is available to fulltime juniors, seniors, continuing graduate business students, and graduate business students begininng their program in the fall. Students must be committed to the Western New York community and are preparing for a career that will further economic development and job growth in the WNY region.
WNY Prosperity Fellows are chosen by a selection committee, and the fellowship is awareded to students who demonstrate their commitment to the Western New York community. It is open to all undergraduates and graduate business programs.
Please refer to the "Eligibility and Requirements" page for more details.
Please review the "Application Instructions" to learn more about how to apply.