Welcome to GRIFF 101
First-Year Experience Program
Run a 5K, or a marathon. Dance with abandon along Buffalo’s waterfront. Put your artistic talent on display in a gallery. Debate the fine points of the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry. Become a gamer, or a comedian. Go fly fishing or take yoga. We have a GRIFF 101 experience for just about any interest or challenge you want to take on. It’s up to you.
Whatever you pursue, your GRIFF 101 experience will be more than a fun challenge. It will also be a way to meet like-minded students, get to know your advisor, explore the city, and engage with the community. Through this program, you will discover firsthand the Jesuit tradition of cura personalis, or care for the whole person—mind, body, and spirit.
Your group will meet on Fridays during your freshman year and your instructor will be your freshman advisor. Together, you will establish and achieve a goal. And at the end of the year, you will be one step closer to ours: Preparing you – mind, body, and spirit – for every challenge that lies ahead.
- As your freshman advisor, the instructor will help you explore the many opportunities here, offer support, and provide academic advisement. This is the person you can ask if you have a question… any question!
- In addition to regular meetings, your group will plan outings, attend fascinating events, athletic contests, or theater performances.
- Road Map Your Career Plan and engage in workshops based on your own personal needs and interests- service immersion trips, faculty-student research opportunities, study abroad, and many more!
- You will learn about many of the remarkable opportunities Canisius offers as you imagine and plan your own amazing four-year undergraduate experience.
- Remember, you must be a deposited freshman before you can register for your favorite GRIFF 101 section. So, don’t delay! Deposit, and get registered!
How to Get Started
Once you pay your tuition deposit, complete the online course preference form. The form will be available after April 1 on my.canisius.edu. You will be able to choose your GRIFF101 section on the course preference form.