Financing Grad School
Why is graduate school a great value? A master’s degree from Canisius will give you a competitive edge in the marketplace and greatly increase your earning potential. Although graduate school is a big commitment, your hard work and perseverance will payoff. Individuals with master’s degrees earn over $500,000 more than those with only a bachelor’s degree over the course of their working lives.
The links below provide information on financing your graduate education:
- Contact the Canisius Financial Aid Office at 716-888-2300 or email@example.com.
- Financial Aid for US Students
- Financial Aid for Canadian Students
- A variety of graduate scholarships are available in the Richard J. Wehle School of Business for both US citizens and international students. Scholarships are based on financial need, academic ability, and demonstrated leadership qualities. Please visit the graduate business scholarship page for more information.
- The Vincent and Harriet Palisano Foundation Catholic Educator Scholarship (PDF) is available for teachers, counselors and administrators working in Catholic schools in the Diocese of Buffalo. Print the employment verification form.
- The TEACH Grant is a federal program providing up to $8000 for graduate students ($4000 per year) who intend to teach full time for at least 4 years in high-needs subject areas at schools serving low income families.
- Income Based Repayment (IBR) is a new option for federal student loans, designed for those with high debt relative to their income.
- If you are a teacher serving in a low-income or subject matter shortage area, it might be possible for you to cancel or defer your student loans.
- Teachers also qualify for loan forgiveness for public service employees. Under this program, you may qualify for forgiveness of the remaining balance due on eligible federal student loans after making 120 payments.
- NY State provides a wide range of grants, scholarships and awards to eligible students, including those in teacher preparation programs.
- NY State Math and Science Teaching Incentive Program provides scholarships up to $4,350 annually for qualified graduate students wishing to teach secondary math or science.
- NY State Child Care Educational Incentive Program
- Army ROTC Scholarships at Canisius are available to graduate students. Graduate students can complete the program in two years by attending the Leader Training Course at Ft. Knox, KY during the summer before starting the program. Two year scholarships cover tuition and provide a monthly stipend and book allowance.
- These awards are assignments in the student’s department or elsewhere on campus as a graduate assistant, graduate teaching assistant, or graduate research assistant.
- Compensation varies by department but in general, students receive tuition waivers for 3 or 6 credit hours for working 10 or 20 hours per week during the semester of service.
- Assistantships may be in an academic department or nonacademic office (e.g., Residence Life, Graduate Education, Career Center, etc.).
- If interested in an assistantship, check with your department/program for more information. Visit the program website for application procedures and position availability.
- You may also search the college website for positions that may be posted from other offices on campus.
- You may also submit a cover letter and resume to the address below. These resumes will be used in the Admissions Department and also shared with other offices on campus seeking assistantship candidates.
Director of Graduate Admissions
School of Education and Human Services
2001 Main Street (rm. LY-121)
Buffalo, NY 14208
- The Office of Graduate Admissions office will use resumes internally and also share applications with other offices who might contact them seeking graduate assistant candidates.
- The following offices have graduate assistantships: Graduate Education, Graduate Business, Undergraduate Admissions, Public Relations, Registrar, Information Technology Systems, Department of Athletics, Alumni Relations, Physical Education, Sports Medicine, Sport Administration, Student Teaching Office, Education and Leadership, and Counseling and Human Services.
Contact an admissions counselor today to learn more about the graduate programs at Canisius College.