International Timeline - Undergraduate
Step 1 Begin the application.
You can start the process right now by submitting your application online. Click here to get started. Or you may print the International Undergraduate Admissions Application (DOC). Click here for the list of documentation needed to complete your application.
Step 2 Prepare documents for your student visa.
Complete the Sources of Financial Support section (last two pages) of your International Undergraduate Application. Be sure to include the following:
- Assured financial resources for the first year of study with official bank statements.
- Projected financial support for the remaining academic years.
Step 3 Congratulations, you've been accepted!
Once you have been accepted, you will receive an acceptance letter with information regarding tuition and housing deposits. If you have been awarded any scholarship you will be notified with your letter of acceptance. Your deposit confirms your acceptance of your offer of admission and reserves your place in the incoming class.
- The tuition deposit is $200 (US)
- The housing deposit is $200 (US)
- The deposit(s) can be paid online (using the username and password sent in your acceptance packet), by check, or money order
Step 4 Finalizing your admission.
Once Canisius College receives your financial information and tuition deposit, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will create and send, via express mail, your I-20 Form, which is paperwork you need to apply for your student visa. Along with the I-20 Form, you will also receive:
- Instructions on how to pay your visa fee (this is called the Sevis I-901 Fee).
- A fact sheet on visa procedures.
- A Canisius Housing Preference form.
- A Canisius Course Preference form.
- A second copy of your acceptance letter to take with you to your visa interview.
- A copy of your Sources of Financial Support form to also take with you to your visa interview.
Step 5 Obtaining your student visa.
Upon receiving the Immigration packet (I-20 Form, etc), you should make an appointment to visit the U.S. Consulate in your country. Before visiting the Consulate, you must pay the I-901 fee. For more information on this fee please refer to www.fmjfee.com.
Documents you should plan to bring with you to your visa interview include:
- Receipt for paid I-901 fee.
- Official bank statements showing sufficient funds to cover educational expenses.
- A copy of your acceptance letter from Canisius.
- Your valid passport, with expiration date at least 6 months after the end of the first year of study.
- Your Canisius issued I-20 form.
Step 6 Arriving in the United States.
It is important to have the following information in hand when entering the U.S.:
- Your valid passport.
- Your I-20 form.
- Completed I-94 Immigration card (the white form which is given during flight).
- Customs Declaration (which is also issued during flight).
- Your official bank statements showing sufficient funds to cover educational expenses.
- Evidence of your admission to Canisius.
- Name and contact information of your “Designated School Official” (DSO) - Mark Bunting, International Undergraduate Admissions Coordinator, Canisius College, 1-800-843-1517.
Step 7 Arriving on campus.
Students can arrange to be picked up from the Buffalo International Airport through the International Student Services Office (716-888-2784). During your first few days on campus, you will participate in an international students’ orientation program. Plan to meet other talented students who will without a doubt become friends for life!