Pictured from left to right: Richard M. Peer '65, MD, George C. Robinson '73, Hon. Mary Grace Diehl ’74, Col. James L. Budny '70, MD, Robert M. Glaser '68, Rocco R. Termini '73 and Kathleen Scully Grimm '77, MD.
Distinguished Alumni Award
The 2013 Distinguished Alumni Awards Dinner was held on Saturday, November 9, 2013 at the Montante Cultural Center. To view pictures from the event, click here.
These awards are given to alumni who have distinguished themselves in their careers. Up to six awards may be presented per year. The awards are presented annually at a dinner in late Fall. The deadline for 2015 nominations is March 27, 2015.
2013 Distinguished Alumni Award recipients :
Col. James L. Budny ’70, MD
Dr. James Budny strives for excellence in every endeavor. A physician, teacher, researcher and Colonel of the U.S. Army Reserve, he earned his BA in biology from Canisius and went on to become a neurovascular surgeon.
Jim has served as investigator for numerous groundbreaking trials on surgical treatment of cerebrovascular disease. He’s voluntarily traveled throughout the world to treat wounded soldiers and civilians, and to train surgeons. He’s a clinical associate professor of neurosurgery and radiology at UB, and a neurosurgeon affiliated with Gates Vascular Institute, Buffalo General Hospital, and Women and Children’s Hospital.
For his leadership, excellence, and service to our community and our country, Canisius College is proud to call Dr. James L. Budny a Distinguished Alumnus.
Hon. Mary Grace Diehl ’74
The Honorable Mary Grace Diehl serves as a judge for the United States Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Georgia. She’s a trustee of Canisius College, adjunct professor of law at Emory University and often hosts alumni events in her home.
Mary Grace received her undergraduate degree in history summa cum laude from Canisius and her law degree cum laude from Harvard. She’s served numerous professional organizations including the Atlanta Bar Association and the Southeastern Bankruptcy Law Institute, and is also active in her church.
Mary Grace’s fondest memories at Canisius revolve around spending time in the debate office. She says, “Canisius helped me become who I am; it helped me develop the confidence to undertake and succeed at challenges.”
For her inspirational discernment and service to others, we are proud to name the Honorable Mary Grace Diehl a Distinguished Alumna.
Kathleen Scully Grimm ’77, MD
Dr. Katie Grimm’s career began at Canisius, where she received a BS in medical technology and is a member of the Di Gamma Honor Society. She went on to become board certified in internal medicine, pediatrics, and palliative medicine. She is the supportive medical partner for the Center for Hospice and Palliative Care, and a clinical assistant professor of pediatrics and family medicine at UB.
As co-chair of the Community Health Worker Network of Buffalo, she’s devoted to bolstering community health. The organization focuses on public health ethics, population health, social contact between physicians and their community, social determinants of health, examining the root causes of disparities in health outcomes, and ethics of resource allocation.
For her restless pursuit of excellence and more than 30 years of service to the health and promotion of justice, Canisius is honored to name Dr. Katie Scully Grimm a Distinguished Alumna.
Robert M. Glaser ’68
Robert Glaser graduated from Canisius with a degree in accounting and has gone on to helm Freed Maxick & Battaglia, one of the largest CPA firms in the nation. Bob is also on the editorial advisory board of the CPA Managing Partner Report and serves as treasurer of Buffalo Place Inc. He’s a past chairman of the Erie County Fiscal Stability Authority, and has served on the audit committee of Kaleida Health, and the Canisius College Board of Regents, among other commitments.
He’s a recipient of the Canisius College Accounting Society Accountant of the Year Award, member of DiGamma Honor Society and has established an endowed scholarship in his name.
For his drive to serve and to excel in any endeavor, we are honored to name Robert M. Glaser a Distinguished Alumnus.
Richard M. Peer ’65, MD
A cum laude graduate of Canisius College and member of the National Jesuit Honor Society, Dr. Dick Peer went on to earn his medical degree from the University of Rochester. He is a member of Canisius’ Medical Advisory Board and a clinical associate professor of surgery at UB.
Some of Dick’s most notable accomplishments are in leadership and strategic planning for the Medical Society of the State of New York, which represents the interests of physicians and patients to ensure quality health care for all. It was through this society that he served the Commission on Terrorism’s Bio-Terrorism Task Force, touring the country and training health care providers on bioterrorism preparedness.
For his leadership and dedication to medical research and practice, and for embodying the Jesuit mission of cura personalis, Canisius is honored to present Dr. Dick M. Peer with the Distinguished Alumni Award.
George C. Robinson ’73
Assistant federal security director for law enforcement at the Austin Bergstrom International Airport, and a former US Secret Service special agent, George Robinson has had a noble career of service and leadership.
Service and leadership have been central to George’s character since he was a Canisius student. He was president of the college’s Community Action Program, which served the immediate Canisius neighborhood, and a Griffin Scholar, an honor given to an All-College Honors student who assumes a year-long leadership role on campus or in the community.
In the secret service, George served as special agent in charge of the Johnson Protective Division, and assistant to the special agent in charge for the Liaison Division, Presidential Protective Division, and New York Field Office, among other posts. While his career is distinguished, he is most proud of “being a husband to my wife and father to my children.”
For his guardianship of our country and for exemplifying the Jesuit mission, Canisius is honored to name George C. Robinson a Distinguished Alumnus.
Rocco R. Termini ’73
Rocco R. Termini is the chief executive officer of Signature Development LLC. He believes that his Canisius degree in accounting provided him with the foundation he needed for success.
And Signature Development has an impressive portfolio of successes. Since 2002, Rocco has invested over $100,000,000 in Buffalo, successfully converting vacant downtown buildings into mixed-use buildings. Among these conversions, he considers the recent renovation of the Hotel Lafayette his greatest accomplishment.
Rocco is working with the Buffalo City Mission, pro bono, to help with their move and renovation. He also serves as a board member to various professional groups and has won numerous awards for his innovative and progressive work in Western New York.
For his steadfast commitment to our community, we are proud to name Rocco R. Termini a Distinguished Alumnus.
- William Sisler '69, PhD - Director of Harvard University Press, Harvard University
- J. Donald Schumacher '72, HON '92, PsyD - President and CEO, National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization
- Hon. Anthony Masiello '69, HON '96 - President and Partner, Masiello, Martucci, Calabrese & Associates
- Christopher Kelly '83 - Partner-in-Charge-Cleveland, Jones Day
- James Metzler '72 - AICPA Vice President, Small Firm Interests, American Institute of CPAs
- Petrina Genco '70, PhD - Director, Tissue Typing Lab, Mayo Clinic Florida
- David M. Borowski '79 - Director of New Products, Finance Division, Freddie Mac
- Peter D. Farstad '80 - CAO, LifeSource, Upper Midwest, Organ Procurement Organization, Inc.
- Karen J. Freeman '83 - Former COO, Biologics Inc.
- Charles E. Moran Jr. '72 - President and COO, Delaware North Companies Inc.
- Anthony J. Bellia Jr. '91 - Professor of Law, Notre Dame Law School
- Anna Marie Rooth Cellino '75 - President, National Fuel Gas Distribution Corp.
- Mark J. Czarnecki, MBA '91 - President, M&T Bank
- Robert J. Kresse '50, HON '00 - Attorney, Hiscock and Barclay, LLP
- The Most Reverend Dominic Loung, MS '67 - Auxiliary Bishop, Orange, CA
- Lawrence J. Vilardo '77 - Partner, Connors & Vilardo, LLP
- Gary M. Crosby '75 - Executive Vice President/CAO, First Niagara Financial Group
- Christine Licata-Culhane '67, MS '71 - Senior Associate Provost, Rochester Institute of Technology
- Robert H. Maloney '71 - Founder and Principal, Maloney Government Relations
- David Nalewajek '74, PhD - Senior Principal Scientist, Honeywell International Inc.
- Mary Elizabeth Roehmholdt '71, MD - Neurologist
- Mary Robertson Wittenberg '84 - President/CEO, New York Road Runners
- Jamie E. DePeau '81 - Senior Vice President and Cheif Marketing Officer, TIAA-CREF
- Paul B. Hurley Jr. '66, PhD - President, Trocaire College
- Hon. Thomas A. Maul '64 - Retired, Former Commissioner of the New York State Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities (OMRDD)
- Kenneth F. Myszka '70 - President and Cheif Operating Officer, Sovran Self Storage Inc.
- Hon. Denise E. O'Donnell '68 - Deputy Secretary/Public Safety Commissioner Criminal Justice, New York State Government
- *Philip J. Skilnik '62 - Retired, 41 successful years in the food industry, Past President of the Chicago Food Brokers Association
- Joseph N. Weixlmann Jr. '68, PhD - Provost, St. Louis University
- Nelson D. Civello '67 - Director, Golden Griffin Fund LLC/Professor of Finance, Canisius College Retired President Fixed Income Capital Markets, Former Oishei Visiting Professor of Finance, Canisius College Retired President Fixed Income Capital Markets Group, Dain Rauscher Inc., Minneapolis, MN
- Norman R. Hitzges '65 - Sports Talk Host, Station KTCK-A 1310, Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX
- Margaret W. Paroski '76, MD, MMM - Executive Vice President and Cheif Medical Officer, Kaleida Health Buffalo, NY
- Michael F Scheuer '74, PhD - Senior Fellow,Jamestown Doundation, Washington, DC Adjunct Professor, Georgetown University, Washington, DC Former Senior Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Officer, Washington, DC
- Franklin J. Sciortino '56 - District Director, U.S. Small Business Administration, Buffalo, NY
- James R. Boldt, MBA '84 - Chairman, President and CEO, Computer Task Group Inc. (CTG), Buffalo, New York
- Paul J. Harder '69, MBA '73 - CEO, Clinical Support Services Inc., Buffalo, New York
- Gregory R. Maday '70, MS '73 - Executive Vice President, Warner Bros. Theatre Ventures Inc., Burbank California
- Clotilde Perez-Bode Dedecker '82 - Vice President, Program Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo, Buffalo, New York
- Andy T. Anselmo '45 - Founding Director, Singers Forum Vocal Academy, New York, New York
- Angela (Giordano) Evans '69 - Deputy Director, Congressional Research Service, Library of Congress, Washington, DC
- Francis M. Lazarus '66, PhD - President, University of Dallas, Irving, Texas
- John D. Naples '55, MD - Retired Gynecological Surgeon, Williamsville, New York
- Norman S. Paolini Jr. '69 - Co-Founder and Co-Director, St. Luke's Mission of Mercy, Buffalo, New York
- Robert R. Prazmark '75 - President, Olympic Sales and Marketing Worldwide, New York, New York
- Terrence M. Connors '68, Esq. - Senoir Partner, Connors & Vilardo LLP, Buffalo, New York
- Cherylyn Harley Lebon '88, Esq. - Counsel, U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee, Washington, DC
- Michael P. Healy '70 - Senior Vice President/Original Movies, Disney/ABC Cable Networks, Burbank, California
- Paul J. Kolkmeyer '75 - President/CEO, First Niagara Financial Group Inc., Lockpoart, New York
- Andrew J. Shaevel '88, MBA '90 - CEO, RSA Solutions Inc., Amherst, New York
- Nancy (Wutz) Ware '78, MBA '85 - President, EduKids Inc., West Seneca, New York
- Rev. John C. Barth ’74 - Assistant General, Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers, Maryknoll, New York
- Patrick M. Gallivan ’82 - Sheriff of Erie County, Buffalo, New York
- Richard F. Griffin ’54 - Counsel, Phillips Lytle LLP, Buffalo, New York
- Charles L. Maday Jr. ’67 - Senior Vice President/Programming, The History Channel, New York, New York
- Norma J. Nowak ’79, PhD - Director, Scientific Planning, Center of Excellence in Bioinformatics, University at Buffalo Director, Roswell Cancer Institute/University at Buffalo Microarray and Genomics Facility, Buffalo, New York
- Frederick G. Attea ’61, Esq. - Partner, Phillips, Lytle, Hitchcock, Blaine & Huber, LLP
- Edward M. Cordasco '46, MD - Emeritus Staff, Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- John J. Hurley ’78, Esq. - Vice President for College Relations/General Counsel Canisius College
- Angelo A. Licata ’66, MD, PhD - Physician, Cleveland Clinic
- *Gerald E. Murray ’68 - Poet-Critic, Teacher, Communications Consultant, Murray Communications
- MaryLynn Ryan ’84 - Managing Editor, CNN/USA
- Catherine (Lindquist) Burzik ’72 - President, Ortho Clinical Diagnostics
- Calvin Darden ’72 - Senior Vice President for Operations, UPS
- *Hon. Vincent Doyle ’53 - State Supreme Court Justice
- Thomas Lawley '66, MD - Dean Emory University School of Medicine
- Jim Lyons ’56 - Chairman of Oracle Management Corp.
- Gordon Martin ’69 - Executive VP and CFO, NASD (National Association of Securities Dealers, Inc.)
- L. William Paxon ’77 - Senior Advisor and Lobbyist, Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, LLP
- Lt. General Peter M. Cuviello ’69 – Director for Information Systems for Command, Control, Communication and Computers
- Carolyn B. Frank ’80 – Executive Vice President of Operations, Kaleida Health Systems
- Rocco J. Maggiotto ’72, MBA '79 – Senior Partner, Global Markets and Head of Marketing and Strategic Services, PricewaterhouseCoopers, LLP
- Carmen A. Mannella '69, PhD – Director, Division of Molecular Medicine, and Chief, Laboratory of Strutural Pathology, Wadsworth Center, NYS Dept. of Health
- Dennis F. Strigl ’74 – President & CEO, Verizon Wireless
- Joseph M. Hassett '64, Esq., PhD – Partner, Hogan & Hartson, L.L.P.
- Marsha (Spence) Henderson, MBA ’80 – President, Western New York District, Key Bank, N.A.
- Albert F. LoBuglio '58, MD – Director, Comprehensive Cancer Center, Associate Dean, School of Medicine Professor of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- John F. Marszalek '61, PhD – William L. Giles Distinguished Professor, Mississippi State University
- Daniel W. Stanton ’79 – Managing Director, Goldman, Sachs & Co.
- Mary E. Belle ’73 – President Licensing, Liz Claiborne
- Angelo M. Fatta ’66 – President and CEO, ACTS Testing Labs, Inc.
- Mark Lema ’71, MD, PhD - Chairman, department of Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine and Pain Medicine, Roswell Park Cancer Institute
- Robert Mesel ’57 - President, BP American (retired)
- *Joseph J. Naples ’41 - President, Joseph J. Naples & Associates, Inc.
- Brummitte Dale Wilson ’72, MD – Managing Partner - Brummitte Dale Wilson, M.D. & Associates and the Aesthetic Laser Surgery Center
- *John A. Bellanti ’54 – President and Chief Executive Officer, Battenfeld Management, Inc.
- *William D. Bennett ’61, MS '67– Assistant Professor of Teacher Education, School of Education and Human Services Canisius College
- *Lillian M. Levey, MS ’67 – Former Vice President/Assistant to the President, Canisius College
- Norbert Myslinski '69, PhD – Associate Professor of Neuroscience, University of Maryland Dental School
- Hon.Robin Schimminger ’69 – Member, New York State Assembly, Albany, New York
- Cynthia L. Skrzycki ’76 – Business Columnist, The Washington Post
- *Rev. A. Joseph Bissonette '54, MA '63 (posthumous) - Former Pastor, St. Bartholomew Church
- Sister Barbara Ciarico, MS '68, RSM - President, Trocaire College
- Donald M. Clark '50, MA '52 - President and Chief Executive Officer, National Association for Industry-Education Cooperation
- Ronald F. Poe '59 - Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer, Dorman & Wilson, Inc.
- *Sebastian J. Rosica '48 - Retired Audiologist and Teacher of Deaf Children
- *Richard E. Winter '42 - President and Chief Executive Officer, Pepsi-Cola Ogdensburg Bottlers, Inc.
- Anthony J. Colucci, Jr. '55, Esq. - Senior Managing Attorney, Block & Colucci, P.C.
- Robert J. Hall '47, MD - Director, Cardiology Education Texas Heart Institute/St. Lukes Episcopal Hospital
- Elizabeth Macdonald '84 - Financial Editor, Worth Magazine
- *Rev. Msgr. Robert Wurtz '54 - Executive Vice President, Treasurer, and Pastor of Our Lady of Victory Institutions
- Teresa M. Amabile '72, PhD - Professor of Psychology, Brandeis University
- Richard A. DiVita '55 - President/CEO, DiVita Group of Companies
- Robert J. Genco, DDS, PhD -Distinguished Professor and Chairman, Oral Biology Dept. State University of New York at Buffalo
- Elizabeth N. Kolber '72 - Vice President of Merrill Lynch - Pierce, Fenner and Smith
- Michael M. Orzel '79 - Advocate, Niagara Frontier Center for Independent Living, Inc.
- William M. Skretny '66 - U.S. District Court Judge, Western District of New York
- Carolyn E. Billingslea '75 - Field Services Liaison Director of the IRS, Dallas
- J. Jerry Castiglia '55 - President and Chief Executive Officer, Pratt & Lambert
- Hon. James B. Kane Jr. '48 - Supreme Court Justice, State of New York
- Karen (Wasielewski) Makowski '77 - Executive Vice President, Key Bank, Albany, NY
- Leonard P. Markert Jr. '49 - Chairman, Edward Joy Company, Syracuse, NY
- Hon. Dale M. Volker '63 - Senator, State of New York
- Erik L. Brady '76 - Sports Reporter, USA Today
- Robert M. Greene '66 - CEO and Managing Partner, Phillips Lytle Hitchcock Blaine & Huber
- Milford C. Maloney '47, MD - Chairman, Department of Medicine, Mercy Hospital
- Carl J. Montante '64 - President and CEO, Uniland Development Company
- Peter P. Zaleski '60 - President and CEO, Key Bank
- Joseph F. Crangle '55 - Attorney, Block & Colucci, former chairman, Erie County Democratic Committee
- Rosemary A. Ligotti '70 - Senior Vice President, Moors and Cabot, Inc.
- *Albert R. Mugel '40 - Attorney, Jaeckle, Fleischmann & Mugel
- Minot H. Ortolani '51 - Executive Director, Buffalo Zoological Society
- Thomas A. Raab '73, MD - Chief of Infectious Disease, Mercy Hospital, Buffalo
- John L. Strauss '61 - Partner, BHM & Strauss, Inc.
- Rick Azar Carballada '50 - Former Sports Director, WKBW-TV
- *Vincent C. Bowhers '50 - Managing Partner and General Agent, John Hancock Insurance
- *Joseph G. Herbstritt '59, MD - Reconstructive and Plastic Surgeon
- Karen L. Mize '78 - Vice President for Marketing and Sales, New Boston Garden Corp.
- Donald Pinkel '47, MD - Chief of Pediatric Leukemia, Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute, University of Texas
- John W. Rowe '66, MD - Gerontologist and President of Mt. Sinai Medical Center and Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, NYC
- *John J. Calabro '47, MD - Former Director of Rheumatology, University of Massachusetts Medical School
- *J. Francis Drea '55 – Chairman, Ontario Racing Commission
- *Rev. Leonard G. Hacker '35, SJ - Jesuit Missionary, Marshall Islands, Philippines
- *John W. Koessler Jr. '49 - Vice President, Sullivan Graphics
- *James M. Lanz '38, MA '47 - Executive Vice President, Trocaire College
- John P. Courtney '58 – President, Computer Task Group
- Hon. John J. LaFalce '61 - U. S. Congressman, New York State
- Joseph T. Murray '51 - Manager/Director, Suc Buffalo
- Hon. Henry J. Nowak '57 - Former Congressman/Bank Director/Attorney, Marine Midland Bank
- Judge H. Buswell Roberts '38 - Chief Judge, Buffalo City Court
- *John W. Condon, Jr. '47 – President, Condon, Sedita and Latona Law Firm
- *Sister M. Carmina Coppola '52 – President, Trocaire College
- *William D. Hassett, Jr. '57 – President, W.D. Hassett, Inc.
- Msgr. Paul R. Juenker '42 – Pastor, Blessed Sacrament Church
- Salvatore R. Martoche '62 – Partner, Hiscock and Barclay Law Firm
- *William J. Walsh '51 - Former President, RCA Australia
- *Orval M. Adam '53 - Vice President & Chief Financial Officer, SanteFe/Southern Pacific Corporation
- Hon. John T. Curtin '46 - Federal District Judge
- Dr. Thomas J. Dougherty '55 - Cancer Research Scientist, Roswell Park Cancer Institute
- *Paul G. Gassman '57, PhD - Professor of Chemistry, University of Minnesota, former Alfred F. Sloan Foundation Fellow
- Raymond W. Manuszewski '51 – Chairman, Manufacturers Hanover
- Anthony C. Rocco '48 - Vice President Business Development/Sales, ABC Television Network
- Michael D. Barrett '65 - Financier
- M. Jane Dickman '46, CPA – Partner, Touche Ross & Company
- Lawrence J. Felser '55 - Syndicated sports columnist/Sports Editor, Buffalo News
- *Francis D. Flanagan '33 - Vice President and Chief Lobbyist, W. R. Grace & Co.
- George M. Martin '42 - Executive Vice President for Administrative Affairs, Canisius College
- *Nelson Reavey-Cantwell '45, MD - Professor of Medicine and Vice President of Medical and Scientific Affairs, Thomas Jefferson University
- Paul A. Willax '61 - President and Chief Executive Officer, Empire Savings of America
- *Rev. James M. Demske '47, SJ – President, Canisius College
- Mary Ann Lauricella '68 - Associate Commissioner for Public Affairs, State of New York Department of Motor Vehicles
- *Samuel J. Lentine '67 – Owner, Ability Aids, Inc.
- James T. Molloy '58 – Doorkeeper, U. S. House of Representatives
- George E. Schreiner '43, MD - Director of Nephrology, Georgetown University Hospital
- Sharon R. Tolbert '68, PhD - Vice President for Institutional Advancement, St. Catherine's College
- Brigadier General Robert B. Adams '55 - Deputy Commanding General, U.S. Army Finance & Accounting Center
- *Hon. Michael F. Dillon '50 - Judge, Appellate Division, New York State Supreme Court
- Leo R. Futia '40, CLU - Chairman of the Board, Guardian Life Insurance Company
- *Hon. Walter J. Mahoney '30 - Retired Judge, Appellate Division, New York State Supreme Court; former President & Majority Leader, New York State Senate
- *William H. McFarland '29 - Chairman of the Board Emeritus, McFarland-Johnson Engineers, Inc.
- Elaine F. Sciolino '70 - Rome Bureau Chief, Newsweek Magazine
- Robert J. Slater '59 – President, Crane Co.
- R. Carlos Carballada '56 - President & Chief Executive Officer, Citizen's Central Bank
- Eugene F. Jankowski '55 – President, CBS Broadcast Group
- Robert A. MacKinnon '50 - General Manager, New Jersey Nets
- *Sister Mary Pachomia '38 - Retired President, Villa Maria College
- *Arthur J. Schaefer '43, MD - Eye physician and surgeon
- *J. Norman Hayes '36, PhD – Superintendent, Lancaster Central School District
- Peter P. Poth '50, CPA - Managing Partner, Peat, Marwick, Mitchell & Co.
- Marjorie (Sara) Quinlan '74 - Art History Instructor, Canisius College
- Paul D. Weiss '61 – Founder, Los Ninos
- Deacon John G. Wick '49 - President, Merchants Mutual Insurance Company
- *Hon. Matthew J. Jasen '37 – Judge, New York State Court of Appeals
- *Joseph D. Godfrey '27, MD - President, Godfrey Orthopedic Group, P.C.
- *Dr. Charles A. Brady '33 - Writer, Critic, Professor Emeritus, Canisius College
- J. Michael Collins '57 – President, WNED-TV
- *Rt. Rev. Msgr. John J. Conniff '46 - Executive Director, Catholic Charities of Buffalo
- *Hon. Charles S. Desmond '17 - Former Chief Judge, New York State Court of Appeals
- *Henry J. Osinski '35 - Vice President, M & T Bank - Manufacturers & Traders Trust Co.
- *Hon. Frank A. Sedita '30 - Former Mayor, City of Buffalo
* INDICATES DECEASED (as of August 7, 2009)
Titles reflect positions held in the year cited.