Distinguished Alumni Award
The 2016 Distinguished Alumni Awards Dinner will be held on Saturday, September 24, 2016 at the Montante Cultural Center at 6 pm.
These awards are given to alumni who have distinguished themselves in their careers. Up to six awards may be presented per year. The awards are presented annually at a dinner in late Fall.
Here Are the honorees of the 2015 Distinguished Alumni Award.
- Michael N. Coppola '70 - Retired President, Chief Executive Officer & Chairman, Advance Auto Parts, Charlotte, NC
- Nora McGuire MBA '08 - Senior Vice President & Chief Marketing Officer, Independent Health, Buffalo, NY
- Mary V. Travers Murphy '80 - Executive Director, Family Justice Center of Erie County, Buffalo, NY
- Ronald A. Raccuia '90 - President, ADPRO Sports, Buffalo, NY
- Kenneth M. Sroka '65 PhD - Emeritus Professor of English, Canisius College, Buffalo, NY
- Edward B. Carey '69 - President, Carey Realty Investments, Inc., Columbus, OH
- LeRoi Johnson '71 - Attorney and Internationally Acclaimed Artist, Law office of LeRoi C. Johnson PLLc, Buffalo, NY
- David J. Nasca '79 - President and Chief Executive Officer, Evans Bank, Hamburg, NY
- Richard A. Wall '78 PhD - M&T Distinguished Professor of Economics and Finance, Canisius College, Buffalo, NY
- Gerry Zon '67 PhD - Director of Business Development, Trilink Biotechnologies, San Diego, CA Adam O. Zyglis '04 - Editorial Cartoonist, Buffalo News, Buffalo, NY
- Col. James L. Budny ’70, MD- Neurosurgeon, Gates Vascular Institute & UB Neurosurgery, Buffalo, NY
- Hon. Mary Grace Diehl ’74- United States Bankruptcy Judge, Northern District of Georgia, Atlanta, GA
- Kathleen Scully Grimm ’77, MD- Supportive Medical Partners (SMP), The Center for Hospice and Palliative Care, Cheektowaga, NY
- Robert M. Glaser ’68- Director and Chair of the Board, Freed Maxick & Battaglia CPAs, Buffalo, NY
- Richard M. Peer ’65, MD- Medical Director Vascular Lab, Buffalo Medical Group and Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital, Buffalo, NY
- George C. Robinson ’73- Former Secret Service Agent, Asst. Fed. Security Director, Homeland Security, Austin, TX
- Rocco R. Termini ’73- Chief Executive Officer, Signature Development LLC, Buffalo, NY
- William Sisler '69, PhD - Director of Harvard University Press, Harvard University
- J. Donald Schumacher '72, HON '92, PsyD - President and CEO, National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization
- Hon. Anthony Masiello '69, HON '96 - President and Partner, Masiello, Martucci, Calabrese & Associates
- Christopher Kelly '83 - Partner-in-Charge-Cleveland, Jones Day
- James Metzler '72 - AICPA Vice President, Small Firm Interests, American Institute of CPAs
- Petrina Genco '70, PhD - Director, Tissue Typing Lab, Mayo Clinic Florida
- David M. Borowski '79 - Director of New Products, Finance Division, Freddie Mac
- Peter D. Farstad '80 - CAO, LifeSource, Upper Midwest, Organ Procurement Organization, Inc.
- Karen J. Freeman '83 - Former COO, Biologics Inc.
- Charles E. Moran Jr. '72 - President and COO, Delaware North Companies Inc.
- Anthony J. Bellia Jr. '91 - Professor of Law, Notre Dame Law School
- Anna Marie Rooth Cellino '75 - President, National Fuel Gas Distribution Corp.
- Mark J. Czarnecki, MBA '91 - President, M&T Bank
- Robert J. Kresse '50, HON '00 - Attorney, Hiscock and Barclay, LLP
- The Most Reverend Dominic Loung, MS '67 - Auxiliary Bishop, Orange, CA
- Lawrence J. Vilardo '77 - Partner, Connors & Vilardo, LLP
- Gary M. Crosby '75 - Executive Vice President/CAO, First Niagara Financial Group
- Christine Licata-Culhane '67, MS '71 - Senior Associate Provost, Rochester Institute of Technology
- Robert H. Maloney '71 - Founder and Principal, Maloney Government Relations
- David Nalewajek '74, PhD - Senior Principal Scientist, Honeywell International Inc.
- Mary Elizabeth Roehmholdt '71, MD - Neurologist
- Mary Robertson Wittenberg '84 - President/CEO, New York Road Runners
- Jamie E. DePeau '81 - Senior Vice President and Cheif Marketing Officer, TIAA-CREF
- Paul B. Hurley Jr. '66, PhD - President, Trocaire College
- Hon. Thomas A. Maul '64 - Retired, Former Commissioner of the New York State Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities (OMRDD)
- Kenneth F. Myszka '70 - President and Cheif Operating Officer, Sovran Self Storage Inc.
- Hon. Denise E. O'Donnell '68 - Deputy Secretary/Public Safety Commissioner Criminal Justice, New York State Government
- *Philip J. Skilnik '62 - Retired, 41 successful years in the food industry, Past President of the Chicago Food Brokers Association
- Joseph N. Weixlmann Jr. '68, PhD - Provost, St. Louis University
- Nelson D. Civello '67 - Director, Golden Griffin Fund LLC/Professor of Finance, Canisius College Retired President Fixed Income Capital Markets, Former Oishei Visiting Professor of Finance, Canisius College Retired President Fixed Income Capital Markets Group, Dain Rauscher Inc., Minneapolis, MN
- Norman R. Hitzges '65 - Sports Talk Host, Station KTCK-A 1310, Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX
- Margaret W. Paroski '76, MD, MMM - Executive Vice President and Cheif Medical Officer, Kaleida Health Buffalo, NY
- Michael F Scheuer '74, PhD - Senior Fellow,Jamestown Doundation, Washington, DC Adjunct Professor, Georgetown University, Washington, DC Former Senior Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Officer, Washington, DC
- Franklin J. Sciortino '56 - District Director, U.S. Small Business Administration, Buffalo, NY
- James R. Boldt, MBA '84 - Chairman, President and CEO, Computer Task Group Inc. (CTG), Buffalo, New York
- Paul J. Harder '69, MBA '73 - CEO, Clinical Support Services Inc., Buffalo, New York
- Gregory R. Maday '70, MS '73 - Executive Vice President, Warner Bros. Theatre Ventures Inc., Burbank California
- Clotilde Perez-Bode Dedecker '82 - Vice President, Program Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo, Buffalo, New York
- Andy T. Anselmo '45 - Founding Director, Singers Forum Vocal Academy, New York, New York
- Angela (Giordano) Evans '69 - Deputy Director, Congressional Research Service, Library of Congress, Washington, DC
- Francis M. Lazarus '66, PhD - President, University of Dallas, Irving, Texas
- John D. Naples '55, MD - Retired Gynecological Surgeon, Williamsville, New York
- Norman S. Paolini Jr. '69 - Co-Founder and Co-Director, St. Luke's Mission of Mercy, Buffalo, New York
- Robert R. Prazmark '75 - President, Olympic Sales and Marketing Worldwide, New York, New York
- Terrence M. Connors '68, Esq. - Senoir Partner, Connors & Vilardo LLP, Buffalo, New York
- Cherylyn Harley Lebon '88, Esq. - Counsel, U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee, Washington, DC
- Michael P. Healy '70 - Senior Vice President/Original Movies, Disney/ABC Cable Networks, Burbank, California
- Paul J. Kolkmeyer '75 - President/CEO, First Niagara Financial Group Inc., Lockpoart, New York
- Andrew J. Shaevel '88, MBA '90 - CEO, RSA Solutions Inc., Amherst, New York
- Nancy (Wutz) Ware '78, MBA '85 - President, EduKids Inc., West Seneca, New York
- Rev. John C. Barth ’74 - Assistant General, Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers, Maryknoll, New York
- Patrick M. Gallivan ’82 - Sheriff of Erie County, Buffalo, New York
- Richard F. Griffin ’54 - Counsel, Phillips Lytle LLP, Buffalo, New York
- Charles L. Maday Jr. ’67 - Senior Vice President/Programming, The History Channel, New York, New York
- Norma J. Nowak ’79, PhD - Director, Scientific Planning, Center of Excellence in Bioinformatics, University at Buffalo Director, Roswell Cancer Institute/University at Buffalo Microarray and Genomics Facility, Buffalo, New York
- Frederick G. Attea ’61, Esq. - Partner, Phillips, Lytle, Hitchcock, Blaine & Huber, LLP
- Edward M. Cordasco '46, MD - Emeritus Staff, Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- John J. Hurley ’78, Esq. - Vice President for College Relations/General Counsel Canisius College
- Angelo A. Licata ’66, MD, PhD - Physician, Cleveland Clinic
- *Gerald E. Murray ’68 - Poet-Critic, Teacher, Communications Consultant, Murray Communications
- MaryLynn Ryan ’84 - Managing Editor, CNN/USA
- Catherine (Lindquist) Burzik ’72 - President, Ortho Clinical Diagnostics
- Calvin Darden ’72 - Senior Vice President for Operations, UPS
- *Hon. Vincent Doyle ’53 - State Supreme Court Justice
- Thomas Lawley '66, MD - Dean Emory University School of Medicine
- Jim Lyons ’56 - Chairman of Oracle Management Corp.
- Gordon Martin ’69 - Executive VP and CFO, NASD (National Association of Securities Dealers, Inc.)
- L. William Paxon ’77 - Senior Advisor and Lobbyist, Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, LLP
- Lt. General Peter M. Cuviello ’69 – Director for Information Systems for Command, Control, Communication and Computers
- Carolyn B. Frank ’80 – Executive Vice President of Operations, Kaleida Health Systems
- Rocco J. Maggiotto ’72, MBA '79 – Senior Partner, Global Markets and Head of Marketing and Strategic Services, PricewaterhouseCoopers, LLP
- Carmen A. Mannella '69, PhD – Director, Division of Molecular Medicine, and Chief, Laboratory of Strutural Pathology, Wadsworth Center, NYS Dept. of Health
- Dennis F. Strigl ’74 – President & CEO, Verizon Wireless
- Joseph M. Hassett '64, Esq., PhD – Partner, Hogan & Hartson, L.L.P.
- Marsha (Spence) Henderson, MBA ’80 – President, Western New York District, Key Bank, N.A.
- Albert F. LoBuglio '58, MD – Director, Comprehensive Cancer Center, Associate Dean, School of Medicine Professor of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- John F. Marszalek '61, PhD – William L. Giles Distinguished Professor, Mississippi State University
- Daniel W. Stanton ’79 – Managing Director, Goldman, Sachs & Co.
- Mary E. Belle ’73 – President Licensing, Liz Claiborne
- Angelo M. Fatta ’66 – President and CEO, ACTS Testing Labs, Inc.
- Mark Lema ’71, MD, PhD - Chairman, department of Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine and Pain Medicine, Roswell Park Cancer Institute
- Robert Mesel ’57 - President, BP American (retired)
- *Joseph J. Naples ’41 - President, Joseph J. Naples & Associates, Inc.
- Brummitte Dale Wilson ’72, MD – Managing Partner - Brummitte Dale Wilson, M.D. & Associates and the Aesthetic Laser Surgery Center
- *John A. Bellanti ’54 – President and Chief Executive Officer, Battenfeld Management, Inc.
- *William D. Bennett ’61, MS '67– Assistant Professor of Teacher Education, School of Education and Human Services Canisius College
- *Lillian M. Levey, MS ’67 – Former Vice President/Assistant to the President, Canisius College
- Norbert Myslinski '69, PhD – Associate Professor of Neuroscience, University of Maryland Dental School
- Hon.Robin Schimminger ’69 – Member, New York State Assembly, Albany, New York
- Cynthia L. Skrzycki ’76 – Business Columnist, The Washington Post
- *Rev. A. Joseph Bissonette '54, MA '63 (posthumous) - Former Pastor, St. Bartholomew Church
- Sister Barbara Ciarico, MS '68, RSM - President, Trocaire College
- Donald M. Clark '50, MA '52 - President and Chief Executive Officer, National Association for Industry-Education Cooperation
- Ronald F. Poe '59 - Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer, Dorman & Wilson, Inc.
- *Sebastian J. Rosica '48 - Retired Audiologist and Teacher of Deaf Children
- *Richard E. Winter '42 - President and Chief Executive Officer, Pepsi-Cola Ogdensburg Bottlers, Inc.
- Anthony J. Colucci, Jr. '55, Esq. - Senior Managing Attorney, Block & Colucci, P.C.
- Robert J. Hall '47, MD - Director, Cardiology Education Texas Heart Institute/St. Lukes Episcopal Hospital
- Elizabeth Macdonald '84 - Financial Editor, Worth Magazine
- *Rev. Msgr. Robert Wurtz '54 - Executive Vice President, Treasurer, and Pastor of Our Lady of Victory Institutions
- Teresa M. Amabile '72, PhD - Professor of Psychology, Brandeis University
- Richard A. DiVita '55 - President/CEO, DiVita Group of Companies
- Robert J. Genco, DDS, PhD -Distinguished Professor and Chairman, Oral Biology Dept. State University of New York at Buffalo
- Elizabeth N. Kolber '72 - Vice President of Merrill Lynch - Pierce, Fenner and Smith
- Michael M. Orzel '79 - Advocate, Niagara Frontier Center for Independent Living, Inc.
- William M. Skretny '66 - U.S. District Court Judge, Western District of New York
- Carolyn E. Billingslea '75 - Field Services Liaison Director of the IRS, Dallas
- J. Jerry Castiglia '55 - President and Chief Executive Officer, Pratt & Lambert
- Hon. James B. Kane Jr. '48 - Supreme Court Justice, State of New York
- Karen (Wasielewski) Makowski '77 - Executive Vice President, Key Bank, Albany, NY
- Leonard P. Markert Jr. '49 - Chairman, Edward Joy Company, Syracuse, NY
- Hon. Dale M. Volker '63 - Senator, State of New York
- Erik L. Brady '76 - Sports Reporter, USA Today
- Robert M. Greene '66 - CEO and Managing Partner, Phillips Lytle Hitchcock Blaine & Huber
- Milford C. Maloney '47, MD - Chairman, Department of Medicine, Mercy Hospital
- Carl J. Montante '64 - President and CEO, Uniland Development Company
- Peter P. Zaleski '60 - President and CEO, Key Bank
- Joseph F. Crangle '55 - Attorney, Block & Colucci, former chairman, Erie County Democratic Committee
- Rosemary A. Ligotti '70 - Senior Vice President, Moors and Cabot, Inc.
- *Albert R. Mugel '40 - Attorney, Jaeckle, Fleischmann & Mugel
- Minot H. Ortolani '51 - Executive Director, Buffalo Zoological Society
- Thomas A. Raab '73, MD - Chief of Infectious Disease, Mercy Hospital, Buffalo
- John L. Strauss '61 - Partner, BHM & Strauss, Inc.
- Rick Azar Carballada '50 - Former Sports Director, WKBW-TV
- *Vincent C. Bowhers '50 - Managing Partner and General Agent, John Hancock Insurance
- *Joseph G. Herbstritt '59, MD - Reconstructive and Plastic Surgeon
- Karen L. Mize '78 - Vice President for Marketing and Sales, New Boston Garden Corp.
- Donald Pinkel '47, MD - Chief of Pediatric Leukemia, Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute, University of Texas
- John W. Rowe '66, MD - Gerontologist and President of Mt. Sinai Medical Center and Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, NYC
- *John J. Calabro '47, MD - Former Director of Rheumatology, University of Massachusetts Medical School
- *J. Francis Drea '55 – Chairman, Ontario Racing Commission
- *Rev. Leonard G. Hacker '35, SJ - Jesuit Missionary, Marshall Islands, Philippines
- *John W. Koessler Jr. '49 - Vice President, Sullivan Graphics
- *James M. Lanz '38, MA '47 - Executive Vice President, Trocaire College
- John P. Courtney '58 – President, Computer Task Group
- Hon. John J. LaFalce '61 - U. S. Congressman, New York State
- Joseph T. Murray '51 - Manager/Director, Suc Buffalo
- Hon. Henry J. Nowak '57 - Former Congressman/Bank Director/Attorney, Marine Midland Bank
- Judge H. Buswell Roberts '38 - Chief Judge, Buffalo City Court
- *John W. Condon, Jr. '47 – President, Condon, Sedita and Latona Law Firm
- *Sister M. Carmina Coppola '52 – President, Trocaire College
- *William D. Hassett, Jr. '57 – President, W.D. Hassett, Inc.
- Msgr. Paul R. Juenker '42 – Pastor, Blessed Sacrament Church
- Salvatore R. Martoche '62 – Partner, Hiscock and Barclay Law Firm
- *William J. Walsh '51 - Former President, RCA Australia
- *Orval M. Adam '53 - Vice President & Chief Financial Officer, SanteFe/Southern Pacific Corporation
- Hon. John T. Curtin '46 - Federal District Judge
- Dr. Thomas J. Dougherty '55 - Cancer Research Scientist, Roswell Park Cancer Institute
- *Paul G. Gassman '57, PhD - Professor of Chemistry, University of Minnesota, former Alfred F. Sloan Foundation Fellow
- Raymond W. Manuszewski '51 – Chairman, Manufacturers Hanover
- Anthony C. Rocco '48 - Vice President Business Development/Sales, ABC Television Network
- Michael D. Barrett '65 - Financier
- M. Jane Dickman '46, CPA – Partner, Touche Ross & Company
- Lawrence J. Felser '55 - Syndicated sports columnist/Sports Editor, Buffalo News
- *Francis D. Flanagan '33 - Vice President and Chief Lobbyist, W. R. Grace & Co.
- George M. Martin '42 - Executive Vice President for Administrative Affairs, Canisius College
- *Nelson Reavey-Cantwell '45, MD - Professor of Medicine and Vice President of Medical and Scientific Affairs, Thomas Jefferson University
- Paul A. Willax '61 - President and Chief Executive Officer, Empire Savings of America
- *Rev. James M. Demske '47, SJ – President, Canisius College
- Mary Ann Lauricella '68 - Associate Commissioner for Public Affairs, State of New York Department of Motor Vehicles
- *Samuel J. Lentine '67 – Owner, Ability Aids, Inc.
- James T. Molloy '58 – Doorkeeper, U. S. House of Representatives
- George E. Schreiner '43, MD - Director of Nephrology, Georgetown University Hospital
- Sharon R. Tolbert '68, PhD - Vice President for Institutional Advancement, St. Catherine's College
- Brigadier General Robert B. Adams '55 - Deputy Commanding General, U.S. Army Finance & Accounting Center
- *Hon. Michael F. Dillon '50 - Judge, Appellate Division, New York State Supreme Court
- Leo R. Futia '40, CLU - Chairman of the Board, Guardian Life Insurance Company
- *Hon. Walter J. Mahoney '30 - Retired Judge, Appellate Division, New York State Supreme Court; former President & Majority Leader, New York State Senate
- *William H. McFarland '29 - Chairman of the Board Emeritus, McFarland-Johnson Engineers, Inc.
- Elaine F. Sciolino '70 - Rome Bureau Chief, Newsweek Magazine
- Robert J. Slater '59 – President, Crane Co.
- R. Carlos Carballada '56 - President & Chief Executive Officer, Citizen's Central Bank
- Eugene F. Jankowski '55 – President, CBS Broadcast Group
- Robert A. MacKinnon '50 - General Manager, New Jersey Nets
- *Sister Mary Pachomia '38 - Retired President, Villa Maria College
- *Arthur J. Schaefer '43, MD - Eye physician and surgeon
- *J. Norman Hayes '36, PhD – Superintendent, Lancaster Central School District
- Peter P. Poth '50, CPA - Managing Partner, Peat, Marwick, Mitchell & Co.
- Marjorie (Sara) Quinlan '74 - Art History Instructor, Canisius College
- Paul D. Weiss '61 – Founder, Los Ninos
- Deacon John G. Wick '49 - President, Merchants Mutual Insurance Company
- *Hon. Matthew J. Jasen '37 – Judge, New York State Court of Appeals
- *Joseph D. Godfrey '27, MD - President, Godfrey Orthopedic Group, P.C.
- *Dr. Charles A. Brady '33 - Writer, Critic, Professor Emeritus, Canisius College
- J. Michael Collins '57 – President, WNED-TV
- *Rt. Rev. Msgr. John J. Conniff '46 - Executive Director, Catholic Charities of Buffalo
- *Hon. Charles S. Desmond '17 - Former Chief Judge, New York State Court of Appeals
- *Henry J. Osinski '35 - Vice President, M & T Bank - Manufacturers & Traders Trust Co.
- *Hon. Frank A. Sedita '30 - Former Mayor, City of Buffalo
* INDICATES DECEASED (as of August 7, 2009)
Titles reflect positions held in the year cited.