Admissions Ambassador Do's & Dont's
To help you feel more comfortable when speaking with prospective students and their families, please review the do's and don'ts of undergraduate recruitment. Many of these suggestions are also included in the Admissions Ambassador training manual.
When representing Canisius at a college fair, high school visit or interview Do..
- Be excited and genuine about your Canisius College experience.
- Emphasize the value of a Canisius education and share your positive Canisius experiences.
- Act and dress professionally.
- Advise students that interviews are recommended, but not required.
- Contact a student within 24 hours to set up his/her interview.
- At the end of an interview, leave time for the student to ask questions.
- Contact the Office of Admissions if you are unsure how to answer a student's question.
- Ask all students that you meet with to fill out an inquiry card.
- Ask to speak to a school counselor before leaving a high school visit.
- Leave a packet of Canisius College materials with a school counselor before leaving a high school visit.
- Fill out and return college fair, high school visit, and interview evaluations to the Office of Admissions.
When representing Canisius at a college fair, high school visit or interview Don't..
- Answer a student's question if you are not positive of the correct answer.
- Promise admission or scholarships to prospective students.
- Speak about other colleges, or compare them in a negative way to Canisius.
- Contact a student more than three times to set up an interview (two phone calls, one email).
- Focus on the other colleges or universities that the student may be applying to when interviewing a prospective student.
- Stand in front of your table at a college fair.
- Provide items (Canisius merchandise, candy) to give away at a college fair.