Athletic Training & Sports Medicine Majors Receive Degrees from a Nationally-Recognized Program
The Fall entering class will be the final undergraduate class (including transfer students) admitted to the Athletic Training Major.
Athletic Training & Sports Medicine students gain a competitive edge early on at Canisius College. The only undergraduate athletic training major in Western New York, our nationally-recognized program is taught by faculty members who also have earned national reputations. With an emphasis on practicum, laboratory and internship experiences, the program prepares students for the Board of Certification examination.
Athletic trainers are in demand. They work as integral members of the athletic health care teams in high schools, colleges, sports medicine clinics and professional sports teams. Beyond the field of athletic training, graduates hold positions in higher education, secondary schools and related health care professions, including physical therapy, chiropractic medicine, and medicine.
Why Study Athletic Training & Sports Medicine at Canisius
- The only allied health program at Canisius, the athletic training major has been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE) since 1980.
- Canisius athletic training graduates complete the National Athletic Trainers’ Association Board of Certification (BOC) Examination with 86% passing on the first attempt. Ten 2012 graduates have passed with a 100% mark.
- Just 16 students are accepted into the program each year. They benefit from a very low student-teacher ratio, and thus a high degree of personal attention.
- Service is a huge and important part of our program. AT majors work with the team physicians and athletic trainers who care for student athletes, contributing as many as 12,000 clinical hours per year on campus.
- Opportunities to participate in faculty research including data collection and presenting at regional and National Athletic Trainers Association conferences.
- The faculty and staff have also held or currently hold leadership positions within the athletic training education accreditation organizations, national Board of Certification, state and district athletic training organizations, and the NCAA, bringing recognition to the major and its graduates.
The Canisius College athletic training program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE). The program has been placed on Probation as of February 19, 2016 by the CAATE, 6850 Austin Center Blvd., Suite 100, Austin, TX 78731-3101 relating to student outcomes. A plan is being implemented to bring the program into compliance.
Want more information?
Call 1-800-843-1517 to talk to an admissions counselor.