Learning Goals & Objectives
Student Learning Goal 1
Majors will effectively develop and implement computational solutions to problems.
- Specify and design acceptable computational solutions;
- Implement and test acceptable computational solutions;
- Describe which data structures would be appropriate to use and explain why, given a problem;
- Describe which algorithms would be appropriate to use and explain why, given a problem;
- Design effective data representations for the storage and manipulation of large datasets where needed;
- Utilize and understand statistical methods for the analysis of large datasets where appropriate.
Student Learning Goal 2
Majors will be competent with respect to biology and biotechnology:
- Describe information transfer within cells and between generations;
- Understand high-throughput laboratory technologies used in biology to generate large datasets.
Student Learning Goal 3
Majors will analyze legal, social, and ethical considerations related to bioinformatics.
- Understand and analyze issues using different ethical frameworks;
- Understand social, legal, and privacy implications of electronic storage and sharing of biological information.