SHRM - Essentials of Human Resource Management Certificate Program
Course #: HRESS11SG
The Essentials of Human Resource Management Certificate Program is an introductory course offering a comprehensive overview of the human resource function. The course covers today’s most vital and timely topics, including employment law, selecting qualified employees, compensation, orientation and training, and the employee performance process.
Advance your HR knowledge and effectiveness
If you’re new to human resources or need to strengthen your employee management skills, the Essentials of Human Resource Management Certificate Program is for you. Knowledge of the essentials can improve valuable on-the-job effectiveness, protect your small business from needless litigation, and help advance your career. The course will arm you with practical skills you can immediately apply to your own situation.
You’ll benefit from the shared experiences of your instructor and peers, while learning techniques for handling HR challenges through interactive case studies designed to make you feel comfortable dealing with HR issues. In addition, you’ll receive a Certificate of Completion from our institution.
- Wednesdays, October 2, 2013 - November 6, 2013
- 4:00 p.m - 7:00 p.m.
Who should take this course?
This program is designed for entry-level HR professionals, small business owners responsible for the HR function in their companies and people looking into HR as a career-change possibility.
These are typical job titles of students who’ve completed the program:
|HR specialist||Small Business Owner||Manager|
|HR generalist||Executive assistant||Recruiter|
|Office manager||HR administrator||Trainer|
|Staffing specialist||Admissions counselor||Administrative assistant|
The six learning topics cover a broad spectrum of important information.
This course provides important knowledge and skills you can use immediately in your day-to-day job:
1. Human Resource Management
Roles and responsibilities
Important steps and outcomes in the HR planning process
2. Employment Law
- Civil Rights Act
- EEOC, Affirmative Action, and elements of the affirmative action plan
- Pregnancy, Age and Disability legislation
- Many other employee protection laws
3. Recruitment and Selection
- Recruiting methods and their effectiveness
- Key selection tools
- Adverse impact calculations
- Interview biases
4. Compensation and Benefits
- Framework for base pay, incentives, differentials and increases
- Job analysis and documentation
- Methods for job evaluation
- Benefits commonly offered by employers
5. Employee Development
- Gain an understanding of orientation, development and training
- Effective adult learning, both on-the-job and off-the-job
- Four levels of evaluation
6. Performance Management
- Discover the purpose and process for performance appraisals
- Common appraisal methods and errors
- Legal concepts surrounding the disciplinary process
- Guideline for conducting disciplinary meetings
The SHRM Advantage
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) is the world’s largest association devoted to human resource management. The Society serves the needs of HR professionals and advances the interests of the HR profession. Founded in 1948, SHRM has more than 225,000 members in over 125 countries, and more than 575 affiliated chapters. Visit www.shrm.org.
Location: Canisius College Center for Professional Development
300 Corporate Parkway, Suite 130N
Amherst, NY 14226
This includes SHRM Essentials of HR Management Certificate Program manual consisting of six modules, glossary, and index as well as Participant’s Activities Book and 18 hours of classroom instruction.
Most companies pay for this course through tuition assistance or professional development budgets. Ask your employer if you qualify.
Note: Current BNHRA-SHRM members will receive a 20% discount for the SHRM Essentials of Human Resource Management and the SHRM Learning System Course. Enter SHRM-BNHRA13 under promotional code on payment methods page at checkout (membership will be verified).
Other offerings available for those in the Human Resource field, the
Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) Learning System and ASTD Certified Professional in Learning and Performance (CPLP)TM