Young Professionals Leadership Certificate Program
A leadership program for young professionals looking to advance their careers
Next Session: May 2, 2014
This program is designed to provide young professionals with an advantage over their peers through a sharp focus on key functions of leadership that are proven necessities to a highly successful career. Through a series of workshops and networking events, participants will be provided with the necessary resources that will prepare them for the next-steps in their career.
In addition to the program workshops, participants will have an opportunity to attend a series of networking events held at an offsite location. Each networking event is professionally facilitated so that all participants are engaged, building new skills and meeting other young professionals in the WNY community. Bring a guest! Non-members can attend for just $10. Find out more!
Who Should Attend
All professionals under the age of 40 with an interest in personal and professional development and community engagement are welcome.
To obtain certification, participants must take the ‘Self Awareness and Credibility’ and ‘Your Professional Talent Map’ workshops and choose three additional workshops to attend.
Self Awareness and Credibility
May 2, 2014
- Identify why it’s important to focus on strengths, rather than weakness
- Recognize the link between self awareness and credibility
- Determine how to magnify your strengths and minimize your weaknesses
Basic Business Writing
May 9, 2014
- Increase your fluency and confidence as a writer
- Discover how to tailor your writing to various key audiences for maximum effectiveness
- Learn about common mistakes business writers make
May 16, 2014
- Understand and apply basic financial concepts to your industry
- Learn key accounting and finance terminology, statement components and budgeting concepts
- Explore major regulatory and compliance issues currently affecting businesses
May 23, 2014
- Overcome uncertainty and insecurity of speaking situations and presentation skills
- Develop and enhance essential delivery skills, both verbal and non-verbal
- Acquire effective organizational skills for maximum presentation impact
Influencing without Authority
May 30, 2014
- Develop skills for attaining cooperation from supervisors who command resources, information and potentially crucial support, but who are not required to collaborate is an extremely beneficial skill to acquire
June 6, 2014
- Educate participants in the theoretical framework of conflict
- Recognize destructive and constructive conflict response behaviors and apply to real life scenarios
- Enhance and apply emotional intelligence to effectively deal with the various contexts conflict can occur within
Your Professional Talent Map
June 13, 2014
- Develop a clear idea of your talent map by critically analyzing strengths and interests
- Become an advocate for your own career path and a more engaged and productive employee
Date/Time: May 2, 2014 - June 13, 2014
Fridays from 8:30am - 11:30am
Includes all materials and Advisory Network meetings.
Location: Canisius College Center for Professional Development
300 Corporate Pkwy, Suite 130
Amherst, NY 14226
Next Session: March 11, 14 at Milos Resaurant
The "YP Network" provides an opportunity for both members and non-members of the Young Professionals Leadership Certificate Program to get together in a less structured environment that is highly conductive to networking and getting to know your peers. The first hour of each meeting is professionally facilitated and includes group discussion on topics that are relevant to and chosen by the network’s members. Following this is a second hour that allows time for all members to mingle, build relationships and create connections with their peers.
Meetings will be held on the 2nd Tuesday from 6pm - 8pm of the month over a 9 month period and will alternate between the Pan American Grill & Brewery in downtown Buffalo, NY and Milos Restaurant in Williamsville, NY. This "YP Network" is open to the public so bring a friend! Enjoy complimentary hors d'oeuvre and build new relationships!
Investment: $10 per session