MBA Seminar – Doing Business in the European Union
Long-Distance Learning Course with European Field Experience - Offered Every Spring
Field Experience - London, Brussels & Paris
Friday March 14 – Saturday March 22, 2014
The course introduces students to the current issues impacting the development and implementation of the unique economic and political unit called the European Union. It provides them with an opportunity to study the largest market in the world and the one most likely to impact the United States.
A combination of distance learning and field experience, this course will count as a general elective or toward the international business concentration. Students spend one week during spring break in London, Brussels, and Paris, where they participate in formal lectures, presentations and interactive group work. Download the EU Course Brochure.
Professor: Dr. Coral R. Snodgrass, Director, International Business Program
Host School: Ecole Superieur de Commerce Internationale (ESCI)
This three credit course will provide the student with first hand knowledge of the European Union. Students will prepare for the trip to Europe by completing a set of readings provided by the professor. In Europe, students will attend lectures on the European Union given by French business professors, tour companies, visit offices of the European Union government, and meet with European managers. Each student will submit a research report on an agreed upon subject at the end of the semester. Download the Course Syllabus.
The course includes a visit to Brussels, Paris and a weekend in London.
Approximate Costs: (Spring 2014 course and field experience)
- Tuition including fees (3 credit hours): $2,300 approx.
- Students will be staying in first class European accommodations with two students to a room.
- Transportation within European visits will include subway, bus and train.
- Hotel accommodations (double occupancy), transportation in Europe, some meals, events, and health insurance: estimated at $1,600 - $1,700
- Airfare: estimated at $950-$1,000
- $300 non-refundable deposit (deducted from program cost) due by October 15, 2013 to Laura McEwen.
- Download the Application
- Non-Canisius students will need a letter of good standing from their MBA program director.
- The Business in the European Union class gives students the opportunity to learn the business culture and life in different EU countries. It was one of the best experiences of my life, and I highly recommend that all grad students, MBA or others, take advantage of this great opportunity. ~ Norm Carlson, Canisius College
- The trip was amazing because it gave you the free-dom to experience the atmosphere and culture of Paris & Brussels while maintaining a steady learn-ing schedule. Being in a different country and learning how its people worked was exciting to say the least! I definitely recommend this trip to anyone who is able to experience it. ~ Joe Bauer, John Carroll University
- Studying and traveling in the European Union was a fascinating and exciting experience that I would recommend to any and all students! It gave me a taste of what it is like doing business in Paris and Brussels, while taking in the breathtaking land-scape and culture of the EU. The knowledge and memories of this trip will last a lifetime! ~ Amanda Wolfe, St. Louis University