Learning Goals & Objectives
Student Learning Goal 1:
Knowledge; Department majors will demonstrate an understanding of fundamental chemical concepts.
- Objective A: Concepts; Demonstrate broad knowledge of chemical concepts;
- Objective B: Reactions; Predict and analyze the effects of chemical changes;
- Objective C: Derivations; Manipulate expressions of chemical quantities to derive higher-order relationships;
- Objective D: Safety; Demonstrate knowledge of chemical, instrumental and workplace safety.
Student Learning Goal 2:
Professional Skills; Department majors will be able to work effectively in a professional or laboratory setting.
- Objective A: Scientific Literacy; Identify, access and use chemical literature sources;
- Objective B: Scientific Method; Define chemical problems, then formulate hypotheses and design experiments to address them;
- Objective C: Laboratory Skills; Carry out experiments (follow directions, manipulate materials and lab apparatus, record data);
- Objective D: Laboratory Instrumentation; Use modern instrumentation (prepare samples, operate systems, troubleshoot common problems, organize and label data).
Student Learning Goal 3:
Communication; Department majors will be proficient in the communication of chemical information.
- Objective A: Oral Communication; Construct and deliver an effective oral presentation;
- Objective B: Written Communication; Write an effective, properly formatted scientific report.