Learning Goals & Objectives
Student Learning Goal 1
Chemistry majors will demonstrate an understanding of fundamental chemical concepts.
- Objective A: Demonstrate broad knowledge of chemical concepts;
- Objective B: Analyze and predict the effects of chemical changes;
- Objective C: Manipulate expressions of chemical quantities to derive higher order relationships.
Student Learning Goal 2
Chemistry majors will be able to work effectively in a professional or laboratory setting.
- Objective A: Identify, access and use chemical literature sources;
- Objective B: Define chemical problems, then formulate hypotheses and design experiments to address them;
- Objective C: Carry out experiments (follow directions, manipulate materials and lab apparatus, record data);
- Objective D: Use modern instrumentation (prepare samples, operate systems, troubleshoot common problems, organize and label data).
Student Learning Goal 3
Chemistry majors will be proficient in the communication of chemical information.
- Objective A: Construct and deliver an effective oral presentation;
- Objective B: Write an effective, properly formatted scientific report.
Student Learning Goal 4
Chemistry majors will demonstrate knowledge of safe and ethical practice in science.
- Objective A: Demonstrate knowledge of chemical, instrumental and workplace safety;
- Objective B: Exhibit an awareness of the global, ethical, and policy implications of chemical technologies.