Learning Goals & Objectives
Learning Goal 1
Students will develop proficiency in ancient Greek and/or Latin.
- Objective A: Demonstrate mastery of vocabulary and lexical skills;
- Objective B: Demonstrate mastery of grammar and syntax;
- Objective C: Write a sound English translation of a Greek or Latin text which illustrates clear understanding of the test’s meaning.
Learning Goal 2
Students will develop skills in philological interpretation.
- Objective A: Comment thoughtfully on aspects of literary style, vocabulary, sentence structure, and use of rhetorical figures and tropes;
- Objective B: Address basic textual problems;
- Objective C: Know the distinctive features of the major ancient literary genres as illustrated in various texts.
Learning Goal 3
Students will be able to interpret other forms of evidence, such as art objects, monuments, and inscriptions.
- Objective A: Interpret artifacts of the ancient world, such as art, architecture, and other material remains;
- Objective B: Read and interpret epigraphic and numismatic remains.
Learning Goal 4
Students will know and appreciate the significance of the historical and cultural contexts of ancient Greek and Roman texts, artifacts, and events.
- Objective A: Have fundamental knowledge of ancient religion, languages, history, literature, philosophy, art, and social structures;
- Objective B: Place specific texts, artifacts, individuals, and events within these historical and cultural contexts.
Learning Goal 5
Students will gain proficiency in fundamental research methods.
- Objective A: Formulate meaningful questions and interpretations of ancient texts;
- Objective B: Locate, understand, and synthesize modern scholarly treatments of particular texts or issues regarding the ancient world;
- Objective C: Produce scholarly work, based on careful research of both primary and secondary sources.
Learning Goal 6
Students will be well versed in classical antiquity’s legacy.
- Objective A: Appreciate influences of Greek and Roman civilization on later art and architecture, philosophy and religion;
- Objective B: Appreciate influences of Greek and Roman civilization on later literature and languages;
- Objective C: Appreciate influences of Greek and Roman civilization on later politics, law and social structure.