English as a
Second Language

English as a <br>Second Language


Tell me about the ESL program at Canisius.

The ESL program at Canisius College is a semi-intensive part-time program engaging students in English language instruction 6-9 hours a week. Students can solely focused on developing their English language skills by taking three ESL classes per week, or by taking ESL courses to support their English language abilities in their major coursework.

What is the purpose of the ESL courses at Canisius College?

The purpose of the ESL courses is to assist student with the development of the language skills they will need in both academic and social settings.

Who should take ESL courses?

All international students other than native English speaking students will complete a language assessment during International Student Orientation. Students who demonstrate proficiency in English will place out of ESL courses.

Am I required to take any tests such as the TOEFL or the IELTS?

You are not required but are recommended to have taken the TOEFL or IELTS test. We initially screen your application materials for any TOEFL, IELTS, or SAT scores. Your transcript is also reviewed to see if you have taken any English courses at other institutions. When you arrive at Canisius College you will be required to take a language assessment test which will test you on your writing, reading comprehension, speaking, and listening abilities in the English language. (For more information please visit the International Student Admissions web page.

How am I placed in an ESL course?

Students are required to complete a placement exam during orientation. This exam measures your skills in the areas of reading comprehension, listening, speaking, and writing. Based on the results of this exam, you will be placed in the appropriate ESL course.

What does the placement testing involve?

The placement exam tests students on four areas: reading comprehension, writing, speaking, and listening. This is a way for us to measure what courses you should take.

Who is my academic advisor?

International exchange students are advised by the appropriate Associate Dean or an advisor designated by the Associate Dean. International students seeking a degree will have an advisor in their major and should contact the department directly to have an advisor assigned if they do not have one already.

In what order should I take my ESL classes?

The ESL classes you are required to take is determined by the placement exam, as well as professors in the ESL program. After taking a first semester of ESL classes you will be advised as to what ESL class or classes you will have to take next or if you have completed all the ESL courses you need to take.

How many ESL courses do I have to take?

ESL professors and Associate Deans will determine how many courses you should take, in what order, and when the student has completed enough ESL courses.

What can I expect from my ESL classes?

These courses give students the opportunity to build their English-language skills. There are courses that focus on reading and writing skills, as well as classes that work on speaking and listening. The ESL classes are small and provide not only language instruction but social support.

How many classes are required for a baccalaureate degree from Canisius College?

Most baccalaureate degree programs are 120 credits. That is 40 courses at three credits each. To graduate in four years, one is required to take about five classes a semester or 15 credits a semester.

What types of course must I take to obtain a baccalaureate degree?

To obtain a Canisius College baccalaureate degree you must take core curriculum courses (Foundations, Fields of Knowledge, Knowledge and Skills Attributes), major courses, and free electives.

Do ESL courses count toward graduation or for credit and will my performance in these classes effect my grades?

All ESL courses are credit bearing courses and therefore count towards your degree progress and your grade point average (GPA). Exchange students who need ESL courses will use those courses to transfer back to their home institution. International students seeking a degree will consult with their academic advisor to determine how their ESL courses will count for their degree.

I have to take ESL courses, FYS (First Year Seminar) courses, and ENG (English) courses?

Students enrolled in ESL writing classes will have to take the FYS101 International course but only after they have completed ESL112. ESL students will not enroll in any English course until they complete the necessary ESL/FYS courses.

What happens after I complete the required number of ESL courses?

Following the completion of ESL courses and FYS101 International, students can enroll in English 101 (ENG 101)