Learning Goals & Objectives
Student Learning Goal 1
Students will demonstrate an understanding of how literary texts are organized (e.g. by genre, historical development, theme, national/transnational expression).
- Objective A: Demonstrate and understanding of the characteristics of a literary period;
- Objective B: Place a work in its cultural context;
- Objective C: Demonstrate an understanding of the characteristics of a genre.
Student Learning Goal 2
Students will demonstrate an understanding of literary texts as works of art.
- Objective A: Analyze literary works through carefully selected textual example;
- Objective B: Analyze literary works in terms of literary language or structure;
- Objective C: Analyze literary works in terms of a larger issues that shapes literary production, such as traditions, artistic movements, or cultural issues.
Student Learning Goal 3
Students will demonstrate an understanding of the role of literary criticism in shaping the meaning and significance of literature.
- Objective A: Incorporate critical sources appropriately into their writing;
- Objective B: Integrate critical sources effectively into their analysis of literature;
- Objective C: Situate their interpretation of literature in terms of critical issues or theories.
Student Learning Goal 4
Students will demonstrate the ability to read as writers.
- Objective A: Be able to identify and explain choices professional writers make in literary texts;
- Objective B: describe the effects of these choices;
- Objective C: discuss how they may interpolate similar choices in the creation of their own work.