European Studies – The Perfect Complement to any Major
Engage Europe both inside and outside the classroom through a unique curriculum focusing on the history, government, economics, culture and languages of Europe. Degree majors directly apply the knowledge they learn through study abroad programs, internships, and EuroSim, the international simulation of the European Union. Often, the major is coupled with one of the traditional academic disciplines such as fine arts, foreign language, history or political science. Many European Studies graduates of Canisius apply this dual or triple major approach to find jobs with an international flare.
Why Choose European Studies at Canisius
- Study Abroad Encouraged – Study abroad is an integral part of this major, and Canisius offers many opportunities. Students can spend a semester or more in France, Germany, Spain, Great Britain, Ireland and Belgium.
- 100% of Canisius students who want career-related internships get them. Here are some of the organizations European Studies students have held internships:
- Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- Reasearch Assistant, United States District Court for the Western District of New York
- Federal Trade Commission, Washington, D.C.
- U.S. Consulate General Edinburgh, Scotland
- Management Office Intern, U.S. Embassy London
- Advance Intern, Office of the Vice President, Richard Cheney
- U.S. House of Representatives
- Defense Industrial Initiatives Group at CSIS
- Graduate School or Fellowships – With dual or triple majors, participation in EuroSim and student clubs, internships, study and other travel abroad, European studies majors build impressive résumés which boost their potential for admission to master’s and PhD programs or law school. Graduates also move on to fellowship programs, such as Fulbright Scholarships.
- Exciting Job Opportunities – Graduates with European Studies degrees work as lawyers specializing in international business or immigration, researchers for international institutes, business development and logistics managers for multi-national companies, trade analysts, international marketing specialists, coordinators of international student activities at universities and colleges, to name a few of the possibilities.
Want more information?
Call 1-800-843-1517 to talk to an admissions counselor.