Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Graduate Adolescence Education Program FAQs

For Canadian Students:

What is the deadline for applying?

We operate on a rolling admissions basis with no set deadlines. We evaluate applications when complete and normally make a decision within one week.  We recommend submitting all materials required for admission at least 30 days prior to the start date for the term you wish to begin. 60 days prior to the start date is a better target for Canadian and other international students. Students are encouraged to apply as early as possible to allow for the best scheduling options, since some course sections may close out if registering late.  

When is the program offered?

The Adolescence Education program has two start terms - fall and spring. You select your start date when you file your application. If you are unsure of your start date, select the earliest one that you are most likely to attend. Should you be accepted and wish to change your start date to a later term, simply inform the Graduate Admissions Office of your new start date in writing and the start date will be changed.

 During the fall and spring semesters, courses in the graduate adolescence program are offered Monday and Tuesday. Student teaching (final semester) is full-time teaching five days a week.

What prerequisite courses are required?

Evidence of successful completion of 36 college/university level semester credit hours or 6 full courses in one of the disciplines: English, mathematics, social studies, French, German, Spanish, science or business. 

The 36 semester credit hours in science must include at least 30 semester credit hours in biology, chemistry or physics. 

Social Studies requires 36 semester credit hours in related course work. Eighteen (18) of those hours must be in history. In addition, students must have 3 credits hours each in the following areas:political science/goverment, cultural studies, geography and economics.  The remaining 6 credit hours may be statified by taking social science courses.  Students also have the option of satisfying these requirements by earning a passing score on a related CLEP test.  CLEP tests are available in US History 1, US History 2, Western Civilization 1, Western Civilization 2, American Government, Sociology, Economics (micro or macro), and History and Social Science. Credit-by-Exam is available for Geography at:

Additionally, evidence of completion of three (3) college/university credit hours or a half year course in a foreign language. New York State Regents credit or two years of non-regents with a grade of "B" or better average is acceptable. OAC/Grade 13 is accepted for Canadian students. 

Can I apply and attend Canisius if I have prerequisites to be made up?

Yes, but all prerequisites should be completed prior to your student teaching semester.

What is the minimum GPA required for acceptance into the program?

Most candidates have a minimum GPA of 3.0 from their undergraduate studies. GPA’s below 3.0 will be reviewed by admission staff and program faculty to determine status.

Is the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) required?

For candidates who already possess an initial teaching certification and are pursuing entrance into a professional certification MS program, a standardized test score is required. Candidates can submit GRE, MAT, or ALST test scores to complete this requirement. Contact admissions staff with questions.  

For candidates pursuing entrance into an initial certification teaching program, a standardized test score is required.  Candidates can submit GRE, MAT, SAT, or ACT test scores to complete this requirement. Contact admissions staff with questions.

How quickly can I complete the program? 

You can complete certification in as few as three semesters. You can complete the program in 15 months.

Can I attend the program part-time?

You can attend our programs on a full or part time basis.

Will American Sign Language count for the Foreign Language requirement?

Yes, if you have a course providing academic credit in American Sign Language.

How is the scheduling of classes done?

All scheduling/registration of classes is done online using the Canisius Web and can be accessed by clicking here. You can then login to register or click on "Class Schedule" to view schedules for current, previous and some future semesters.

 You can access this link from the Canisius home page by clicking on: "Current Students", then clicking on: "Online Registration/Check your Grades/View your 1098-T", then choosing "Login" to Register or "Class Schedule" to view posted schedules.

What is the cost of tuition for all programs?

Please see our Tuition & Fee's page for information on the program cost.

Is a bachelor's degree required to begin the program? 

Yes, a bachelor's degree is required to start graduate programs. For Canadian students, it may be a three year or four year degree.  Three year bachelor's degree candidates must complete the masters program at Canisius before they are eligible to submit the request for certification to the New York State Department of Education.

Can I apply if I am "In Progress" with my last semester of courses?

You can apply during your final semester as an undergraduate. However, you will be accepted provisionally until you supply us with an official transcript that posts your degree.

What tests are required for certification?

Applicants for certification must pass the required certification exams in their area. See the New York State Certification Exam Web Site, or your adviser, for more information on these tests, including preparation guides.

Where can I get information about financial aid?

Click here for information regarding financing graduate school. You may also contact the Financial Aid Office for assistance in financing your education at Canisius by calling 716-888-2300 or 800-541-6348 (toll-free).

 The source of financial aid available for Canadian students is The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).  For more information visit their web site at

Is there a tuition payment plan?

Yes, the college has payment plans. For more information, contact the Financial Aid Office at (716) 888-2300.

Is housing available? 

Housing for graduate students is based on space available.  Some rooms may be available on a nightly basis. Many Canadian students and other commuters stay overnight in local hotels as needed. Contact the Office of Residence Life at 716-888-8300 for more information, including availability.  

Can I take the CLEP tests to meet the prerequisite requirements? 

Yes, students can take examinations sponsored by the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) or by the New York State College Proficiency Examination Program (CPE). Students must consult with the appropriate dean for permission to use any credit by examination toward their graduate degree or certificate requirements. 

More Frequently Asked Questions for Canadian Students:

Will I be able to teach in Ontario after completing the certification program?

Yes, we have been preparing teachers for certification in Canada for more than 20 years. Once requirements are complete, Canadian students will apply to the New York State Department of Education for certification. New York State will then pass certification information to the Ontario College of Teachers to issue the appropriate certification in Ontario.

What are the Immigration requirements to attend?

In order to attend Canisius College, Canadian students must receive a Certificate of Visa Eligibility (Form I-20). This form is issued by Canisius College after the student has submitted proof of his/her ability to meet all educational and living expenses for the entire period of study. The student must provide this proof by filling out the Canisius College International Student Certification of Finances form, which includes a budget worksheet to help the student determine the total educational expenses. This form must have enough funds (in US dollars) listed and verified to cover the full amount of the student's educational and living expenses. This form must be submitted to the Graduate Admissions Office. After it is processed, the college will mail the I-20 form directly to the student.

How do US college/university credit hours equate to credits in Canada?

3 credit hours = 1 half year course
; 6 credit hours = 1 full year course

Will OAC courses count toward the prerequisite course requirements?

Yes, OAC and grade 13 can be used as prerequisite course requirements for Canadian students.

Can Canadian students take online courses at Canisius for teacher certification?

Yes.  Canadian students are now permitted by the Ontario College of Teachers to take online courses toward teacher certification requirements.