Master of Science
Adolescence Education Admissions Requirements
Canisius College has established the following criteria for entrance into the Adolescence Education program:
- Completion of a Graduate Admissions Application
- One official college and/or university transcript(s) showing completion of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher learning with a minimum of a 2.7 grade point average. Submit additional transcripts if needed to document prerequisites (see below). Transcripts may be sent to you or directly to Canisius College by your institution. If sent to you, they will be in a sealed envelope that should be forwarded to us unopened. Applications for candidates with less than a 2.7 cumulative undergraduate GPA will be reviewed by the program director for an admissions decision and may include additional requirements (e.g., personal interview, GRE, etc.).
- Submission of two (2) letters of recommendation. Letters may be from academic or work-related references.
- Canadian and other international applicants must provide a completed Certification of Finances Form. Print and complete the COF.
- Additionally, Canadian applicants should provide unofficial high school transcripts if you have OAC/grade 13 credits. OAC/grade 13 courses may count toward prerequisites in your program of study.
View the Prerequisites required prior to applying for certification:
- Prerequisites may be completed concurrently with program coursework but should be complete prior to student teaching.
- Prequisites may be also be saitified by successfully completing a test. CLEP tests are available in US History 1, US History 2, Western Civilization 1, Western Civilization 2, American Government, Sociology, Economics (micro or macro), and History and Social Science. View the Credit-by-Exam.
International applicants who are citizens of non-English speaking countries are required to provide:
- Proof of English proficiency. All international students are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam if English is not their first (native) language. Results must be sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions. A minimum score of 80 on the Internet-based version is required to be considered for admission to Canisius. International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is accepted. A minimum score of 6.5 is required for the IELTS. Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) is accepted. A minimum score of 70 is required for the CAEL.
- Official transcripts with certified English translations converted into U.S. equivalents, i.e. grades, course credits, etc. World Education Services (WES) is one organization providing this paid service. Other organizations may also be accepted.