Online Bilingual Education (Regular or Special Education Focus)
The Online Bilingual Education programs are innovative online programs designed to prepare teachers with initial certification, a master's degree, and foreign language proficiency to meet New York State requirements for the Bilingual Education Certificate Extension. Two options are available, one for regular education and one with a special education focus.
Teachers who have not completed a masters degree may complete the Master's in TESOL Education and complete the Bilingual Education Extension concurrently by selecting the appropriate electives. The program is ideal for working teachers looking to maintain full-time employment and continue their education.
There exists a tremendous need for skilled teachers in the areas of Bilingual Education and TESOL. In the Buffalo area alone, there are 3,862 English Language Learners (ELLs). Acquiring this in-demand skill set helps teachers attain and retain quality positions in a competitive job market.
- Flexible schedule and online delivery with three start points during the year.
- The 15 credit hour programs meet New York State requirements for a Bilingual Education Extension.
- The School of Education and Human Services is nationally accredited by NCATE.
- Small class sections taught by Canisius professors.
- Coursework may be completed entirely online.
- There is no residency requirement on our Buffalo, NY campus.
Possible Grant Funding: These programs are approved by New York's Intensive Teacher Institute. Some candidates may be eligible for funding through grants funded through Eastern Suffolk BOCES. View available Information.
Contact an admissions counselor today to learn more about the graduate programs at Canisius College.