Master of Science
Childhood Education

Master of Science<br>Childhood Education


For Canadian Students

What is the deadline for applying?

We operate on a rolling admissions basis with no set application deadline.  We evaluate applications continuously as they are completed and normally make a decision within a week. We recommend submitting all materials required for admission at least 30 days prior to the start date for the term you wish to begin.  60 days prior to the start date is a better target for Canadian and other international students. Students are encouraged to apply as early as possible to allow for the best scheduling options, since some course sections may be closed to students registering late.  

What prerequisite courses are required?

Evidence of successful completion of three (3) college/university level semester credit hours (a half year course) in each of the following: English, mathematics, science and social studies. 

Additionally, completion of three (3) credit hours (a half year course) in a foreign language is required. New York State Regents credit or two years of non regents with a grade of "B" or better average is acceptable for the foreign language requirement.

For Canadian students, OAC/Grade 13 credits may be applied towards prerequisites in each area.

Can I apply and attend Canisius if I have prerequisites to be made up?

Yes, but all prerequisites should be completed prior to your student teaching semester.

What is the minimum GPA required for acceptance into the program?

Most candidates have a minimum GPA of 3.0 from their undergraduate studies. GPA’s below 3.0 will be reviewed by admission staff and program faculty to determine status.

Is the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) required?

For candidates who already possess an initial teaching certification and are pursuing entrance into a professional certification MS program, a standardized test score is required. Candidates can submit GRE, MAT, or ALAST test scores to complete this requirement. Contact admissions staff with questions.  

For candidates pursuing entrance into an initial certification teaching program, a standardized test score is required.  Candidates can submit GRE, MAT, SAT, or ACT test scores to complete this requirement. Contact admissions staff with questions.

How quickly can I complete the program?

The program may be completed in three (3) semesters. You can start the program in the spring (January) or fall (August).

Can I attend the program part-time?

You can complete the first semester coursework on a full or part time basis.

Will American Sign Language count for the Foreign Language requirement?

Yes, you must complete 3 credit hours of American Sign Language.

How is the scheduling of classes done?

All scheduling/registration of classes is done online using the myCanisius student portal. From this page, you can login to register or click on "Look Up Classes" to view current, previous and some future semesters.

What is the cost of tuition for all programs?

Please see our Tuition & Fee's page for information on the program cost.

Is a bachelor's degree required to begin the program?

Yes, a bachelor's degree is required to start our graduate programs.  For Canadian students, it may be a three year or four year degree.  Three year bachelor's degree candidates must complete the master's program requirements (one additional course) at Canisius before they are eligible to submit the request for certification to the New York State Department of Education.

Can I apply if I am "In Progress" with my last semester of courses?

You can apply before you complete your bachelor's degree.  However, you will be accepted provisionally until you supply us with an official transcript that posts your degree.

What tests are required for certification?

Applicants for certification must pass the required certification exams in their area. See the New York State Certification Exam Web Site, or your adviser, for more information on these tests, including preparation guides.

Where can I get information about Financial Aid?

Click here for information regarding financing graduate school.  

You may also contact the Financial Aid Office for assistance in financing your education at Canisius by calling 716-888-2300 or 1-800-541-6348 (toll-free).

The source of financial aid available for Canadian students is The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).  For more information visit their web site at

Is there a tuition payment plan?

Yes, the college has payment plans.  For more information, contact the Financial Aid Office at (716) 888-2300.

Is housing available?

Campus housing is provided to graduate students on a space available basis.  Housing is available on a semester basis and also on a nightly basis in the summer.  Many Canadian students and other commuters stay overnight in local hotels when campus housing is unavailable.  Contact the Office of Residence Life at 716-888-2220 for more information, including availability. 

Can I take the CLEP tests to meet the prerequisite requirements?

Yes, students can take examinations sponsored by the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) or by the New York State College Proficiency Examination Program (CPE).  Students must consult with the appropriate dean for permission to use any credit by examination toward their graduate degree or certificate requirements.

More Frequently Asked Questions for Canadian Students:

Will I be able to teach in Ontario after completing the certification?

Yes, we have been preparing teachers for certification in Canada for more than 20 years. Once requirements are complete, Canadian students will apply to the New York State Department of Education for certification. New York State will then pass certification information to the Ontario College of Teachers to issue the appropriate certification in Ontario.

What are the Immigration requirements to attend?

In order to attend Canisius College, Canadian students must receive a Certificate of Visa Eligibility (Form I-20).  This form is issued by Canisius College after the student has submitted proof of his/her ability to meet all educational and living expenses for the entire period of study.  The student must provide this proof by filling out the Canisius College International Student Certification of Finances form, which includes a budget worksheet to help the student determine the total educational expenses.  This form must have enough funds (in US dollars) listed and verified to cover the full amount of the student's educational and living expenses.  This form must be submitted to the Graduate Education Office.  After it is processed, the college will mail the I-20 form directly to the student.

How do US college/university credit hours equate to credits in Canada?

3 credit hours = 1 half year course
6 credit hours = 1 full year course

Will OAC courses count toward the prerequisite course requirements?

Yes, OAC and grade 13 can be used as prerequisite course requirements for Canadian students.