Master of Science
Childhood Education Admission Requirements
Note: Start dates for this program are summer (May) and spring (January).
1. A completed Canisius graduate admissions application. You can apply on-line here.
2. One official college and/or university transcript(s) showing completion of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher learning with a minimum of a 2.7 grade point average. Submit additional transcripts if needed to document prerequisites (see below).
- Transcripts may be sent to you our directly to Canisius College by your institution. If sent to you, they will be in a sealed envelope that should be forwarded to us unopened.
- Applications for candidates with less than a 2.7 cumulative GPA will be reviewed by the appropriate program director for an admissions decision and may include additional requirements (e.g., personal interview, GRE/GMAT, etc.)
3. Two letters of recommendation. Letters may be from academic or work-related references.
4. Canadian and other international applicants must provide a completed Certification of Finances Form. Click here (.pdf) to print and complete the COF. (You can download Adobe Reader to view the above PDF link.)
5. Additionally, Canadian applicants should provide unofficial high school transcripts if you have OAC/grade 13 credits. OAC/grade 13 courses may count toward prerequisites in your program of study.
6. International applicants who are citizens of non-English speaking countries are required to provide:
- Proof of English proficiency. The most common means is submission of an official TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of at least 79 on the internet based exam.
- Official transcripts with certified English translations converted into U.S. equivalents, i.e. grades, course credits, etc. World Evaluation Services is one organization providing this paid service. Other organizations may also be accepted.
Prerequisites: Candidates must provide evidence of successful completion of 3 credit hours (a half year/one semester course) of college/university level credit in: English, mathematics, science, social studies and a foreign language. Prerequisites may be completed concurrently but should be complete prior to student teaching.