Graduate Literacy Education
MS in Literacy Education FAQ
1. Why choose Canisius' online master's degree in literacy?
- With more than 75 years of experience in granting master's degrees in education, Canisius is one of the most well respected schools in the region.
- Canisius' School of Education and Human Services is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
- The Canisius Literacy program is recognized by the International Reading Association (IRA).
2. When can I start the program?
You can start during any of our three terms: fall (late August), spring (mid-January) and summer (May/June). You select your start date when you submit your application. If you are unsure of your start date, select the earliest one that you are likely to attend. Should you be accepted and wish to change your start date to a later term, simply inform the Graduate Education Office of your new start date in writing and we will change your start date.
3. How long will the degree take?
This is a 33 credit (11 courses) graduate program leading to the award of a Master of Science Degree in Literacy Education. By taking 2 courses each semester, the program can be completed in two years, including a 2 week on-campus session for Practicum I and II.
4. Do I need to currently be a certified teacher to apply for this program?
5. Will the entire program be taken online or will I need to come to Buffalo, NY?
The program course work can be completed online. The practicum experiences require 2 weeks on-campus during the summer. The practicums will be completed in our Literacy Center during the last two weeks of July.
6. What is the cost of the program?
Tuition for the program during School Year 2013-2014 is $750 per credit hour. Rates for the school year are effective May 2013.
7. Can I live on campus while completing the summer practicum?
8. Will I learn as much in an online MSED program as in a regular program?
There has been much debate and investigation on this topic. Current opinion seems to support the conclusion that online learning can be just as effective as regular classroom instruction. Researchers point out that in classroom settings students are able to avoid participation and let others interact. In contrast, with online instruction there is nowhere to hide. The learning experience requires constant interaction between instructors and students and students and their peers. Online instruction is not for everyone but for the motivated learner who is comfortable with using technology, online instruction can be equal to or even more effective than traditional classroom teaching.
9. How will I take the online classes?
You will be able to take these classes using a home or school based computer that is linked to the web. A high speed connection is required for this interactive experience. Canisius College uses an instructional program called "Angel" for its online courses. The Angel Learning System is widely used and has established itself as a user-friendly interface between faculty and students. Participants in the program will use Angel and email to complete course assignments and to communicate with classmates and faculty. To learn more about what it is like to take an online course, click here.
10. When registering for courses, which section of the course should I register (i.e., ONL vs. WEB)?
Online literacy students should register for courses in the program curriculum with the "ONL" section designation.
11. Once registered for my courses, how do I get started?
You will use the Canisius Angel Learning System to get instructions for each of your courses of study. Once registered, simply use your username and password to log in to the Angel site. Once logged in, you will see a listing of your registered courses. You can get course information, including textbooks needed for the course. You should also use your username/password to check your Canisius email account (Griffmail) for an email from your professor with course information, including the first assignment and textbook information.
12. How do I purchase books for my courses?
Books may be purchased online from the Canisius Bookstore. When selecting textbooks, make sure to select "EDR" for the "Select Your Department" drop down box and "ONL" for the "Select Your Section" drop down box.
13. How do I apply?
You can complete a Graduate Application for the School of Education and Human Services on line for free. We recommend that you submit all application materials at least 30 days before your desired start date.