Internship Program Information
Internship Program Information for Employers
The Canisius Internship Program has a longstanding commitment of connecting students with employers for experiential learning opportunities. Through the Internship Program, students extend learning beyond the classroom and develop essential career skills. Internships serve as a meaningful bridge between academic to professional career.
What is my organization’s responsibility?
All internships must comply with the United States Department of Labor Fair Labor Standards Act. More information can be found at the Fair Labor Standards Act Internship Fact Sheet
In addition, employers must be willing to:
- identify learning objectives
- provide a supervisor with expertise in the field
- evaluate student performance as it relates to learning
Internship start dates and length
Internships usually coincide with the Fall, Spring or Summer semester and last 8-15 weeks. Hours can vary from 10-40 hours per week.
How do I post an available internship?
Internship opportunities can be posted on Handshake, our new recruiting platform.
The following step-by-step instructions will allow you to glide through the registration process, which should take you no more than 5 minutes to complete. If you need additional assistance, you can check out Handshake's Employer Resource Site.
- Go to http://canisius.joinhandshake.com. Click on Employers.
- To create a new account with Handshake, click on “Need an Account?” next to the field for email address.
- Fill out the fields for your name, email address and password, and agree to the terms and conditions. Click Submit.
- Let Handshake know whether or not you are a third party recruiter and click Finish.
- Check your inbox for a message from Handshake, confirming your email address. Click on the link in the email to proceed.
- Once your account has been confirmed, click Continue to connect with Canisius College and associate your contact profile with your company.
- Start typing Canisius College into the search bar and click Request to Connect. This will allow you to post opportunities and request on-campus interviews, information sessions, and tables at Canisius. Click Continue once you have requested to connect to Canisius College.
- Click Got It to advance to search and see if your employer is already created in Handshake. If your organization already exists, you can select Join Company.
- If it does not, you can click on Find or Create Company which will allow you to search by name and/or website. If you still cannot find your employer, click on Create Company Profile. Fill out the information requested. This is an opportunity for you to connect students to your website and social media sites, and showcase your brand.
- You’re all set! Once we approve your employer account, you will be able to:
• Post full-time, part-time, and internship opportunities to Canisius Students and Alumni
• Request on-campus interview schedules, information sessions, and information tables
• Register for Griff Fair
• Search for Students and Alumni that match your vacancy’s needs.
If you are posting an opportunity for the first time at Canisius College, and need assistance please contact Julie Zulewski in the Griff Center for Academic Engagement by email at email@example.com or by calling 716-888-2548.