Academic<br> Resources

Student FAQs

Who is my advisor?

Freshmen will meet their assigned advisor for the first time at orientation. The freshman advisors are the facilitators of GRIF 101- First Year Expereince.  Students will also recieve advisement from their major departments throughout the semester. Transfer Students will be assigned to an advisor in their major department early in the semester.

What if I have not declared a major by the beginning of my sophomore year?

Students who remain Undeclared through their sophomore year should come to the Griff Center for Academic Engagement for advisement and assistance.

When should I meet with my advisor?

Freshmen will see their advisor weekly in GRIF 101- First Year Experience, but are also expected to meet one-on-one with their advisors at least twice each semester. One of these appointments will be to discuss progress reports from instructors, and one will be to discuss registration for the following semester. Upperclass students should also meet with their advisors twice each semester. A student is encouraged and should feel free to see his/her advisor at any point in the semester as questions or concerns arise.

I’m supposed to register and can’t find my advisor. What do I do?

All faculty advisors have office hours scheduled throughout the semester. Students should familiarize themselves with their advisors office hours and schedule appointments well in advance of their scheduled registration dates. In an emergency, students should seek assistance from the Chairperson of his/her major department or other major faculty members.

What should I do if I want to change my major?

Students can officially change majors by going to the office of Student Records & Financial Services Center and completing a change of major form. Students will be assigned a new advisor during the major change process. Freshmen interested in changing majors should come to the Griff Center for assistance.

What is the difference between Drop/Add and withdrawing from a course?

During the first five days of the semester, students may make schedule changes by either dropping a course, adding a course, or both. After the add/drop period, students can only withdraw from a course, using a Withdrawal form. Courses cannot be added at this point. When a student withdraws from a course, this is noted on the student’s transcript with a "W" grade and the student is held financially responsible for the course.

What is the Pass/Fail option?

If a student is a junior or senior taking a free elective, he/she may elect to take that course "Pass/Fail." The student needs to fill out a Pass/Fail form and must submit this form by the last day of the first week of classes. If this option is elected, the student will receive a Pass or Fail on his/her transcript instead of a conventional letter grade. A student may elect to take one course per semester Pass/Fail and may not exceed a total of four (4) courses throughout his/her college career. If a student has filled out the paperwork to take a course Pass/Fail, but changes his/her mind, this form may be withdrawn up to the last day of classes and a traditional letter grade will be awarded. To remove the completed Pass/Fail form, the student must go to the Student Records & Financial Services Center.

What do I do if I want to take a summer course at a different school?

Students who wish to take a summer course at another school should obtain a summer course schedule from the school they wish to attend. The student should bring this schedule, along with course descriptions for possible courses, to their advisor to discuss which courses may be appropriate. The student will then need to complete a request form (located online or in the Griff Center) and obtain the necessary approvals.

How can I withdraw?

Withdrawal from one or two individual courses is different than withdrawing from the college. If a student is having difficulties and is thinking of withdrawing from the college, they should contact the Griff Center for Academic Engagement, Old Main 013. The office is available to help with any concern and will direct students to appropriate resources for assistance.

To withdraw from a course, a student needs to obtain and fill out a withdrawal form. The student must fill out the form and obtain the appropriate approvals. When withdrawing from a course, a grade of "W" will appear on the student’s grade report and transcript. The student will also be financially responsible for the cost of the course in the event of a withdrawal.