Master’s in Health Information Technology FAQs
1. Why choose Canisius' MS in Health Information Technology?
- With more than 75 years of experience in granting master's degrees, Canisius is one of the most well respected schools in the region.
- The Canisius program can be completed entirely online. There is no residency requirement on our campus.
- Canisius faculty have significant field experience, academic research credentials and connections with the professional community.
2. When can I start the program?
The program starts only during the fall semester.
3. How long will it take to complete the MS?
Accelerated eight week terms allow you to complete the program in as little as two years.
4. How do I apply?
You can complete a Graduate Application online with no application fee. We recommend that you submit all application materials at least 30 days before your desired start date.
5. How will I take the online classes?
You will be able to take these classes using a computer that is linked to the web. As with most online experiences, a faster connection will enhance this interactive experience. Canisius College uses a learning management system for its online courses. The learning management system is widely used and has established itself as a user-friendly interface between faculty and students. Participants in the program will use the learning management system and email to complete course assignments and to communicate with classmates and faculty. To learn more about online learning at Canisius, visit the Readiness for Online Learning web page.
6. Will I learn as much in an online program as in a regular program?
There has been much debate and investigation on this topic. Current opinion seems to support the conclusion that online learning can be just as effective as regular classroom instruction. Researchers point out that in classroom settings students are able to avoid participation and let others interact. In contrast, with online instruction there is nowhere to hide. The learning experience requires constant interaction between instructors and students and students and their peers. Online instruction is not for everyone but for the motivated learner who is comfortable with using technology, online instruction can be equal to or even more effective than traditional classroom teaching.
7. Once registered for my courses, how do I get started?
You will use the Canisius learning management system, located on the Canisius Web site, to get instructions for each of your courses of study. Once registered, simply use your username and password to log in to the learning management system. Once logged in, you will see a listing of your registered courses. You can get course information, including textbooks needed for the course. You should also use your username/password to check your Canisius email account regularly for important college and course information.
8. How do I purchase books for my courses?
Books may be purchased from the Canisius Bookstore.