Learning Goals & Objectives
Student Learning Goal 1
Majors will develop knowledge of historical content characterized by both breadth and depth.
- Objective A: Demonstrate a basic knowledge of the history of the United States, Europe, and one other geographic region (Africa, Asia, or Latin America);
- Objective B: Demonstrate a detailed knowledge of the history of the specific chronological or thematic areas they choose to study.
Student Learning Goal 2
Majors will develop skills in historical writing.
- Objective A: Compose a chronological narrative;
- Objective B: Construct a thesis, and support it with historical evidence;
- Objective C: Evaluate historical evidence in a variety of primary and secondary sources;
- Objective D: the ability to use citation practices appropriate to the historical profession to document evidence found in a variety of sources.
Student Learning Goal 3
Majors will learn to think historically.
- Objective A: Assess the significance of events, ideas, or artifacts in their historical context;
- Objective B: Distinguish cause and effect and recognize multiple causalities in history;
- Objective C: Recognize and evaluate different historical interpretations.