The information systems (IS) major at Canisius is a multidisciplinary program that provides comprehensive training in:
- The analysis, design and implementation of database management systems and Web-based applications
- Web site design and E-commerce
- Telecommunications and data networks
- Cyber security and computer forensics
- Hardware and network administration
- Cutting edge technologies including social media, knowledge search and optimization strategies, and mobile technologies
Information systems can also be taken as a minor and minor options are also available in cyber security and computer forensics.
You will also gain exposure to a wide range of business areas like marketing, finance, management and business strategy. These courses will help you understand the business challenges faced by your employers and help you to better understand how technology can provide solutions for a wide range of business problems.
You will learn valuable skills in technology and computer applications that businesses are using to enhance their competitiveness, productivity and ability to communicate in the high demand areas of computing and networking technology. Courses involve a mix of conceptual learning and hands on application, and many courses are lab based where you will work on projects at the computer guided by your instructor.
Depending on your interests and the elective courses you take, the Canisius IS degree will prepare you for a variety of jobs in the business technology areas where job opportunities are rapidly expanding. Today’s job market increasingly relies upon information technology, data networks, computer security and telecommunications.