Learning Goals & Objectives
Student Learning Goal 1
Majors will apply knowledge of Latin American government, politics, business, and public policy to contemporary issues and themes in writing projects and presentations.
- Objective A: Demonstrate knowledge of important political figures, movements and events, as well as current governmental institutions and other political organizations in Latin America;
- Objective B: Demonstrate knowledge of how business is conducted in Latin America;
- Objective C: Demonstrate knowledge of educational policy in Latin America;
- Objective D: Demonstrate knowledge of both US Foreign Policy toward Latin America and US policy toward the Latino population in the US.
Student Learning Goal 2
Majors will apply knowledge of history regarding Latin America to contemporary issues and themes in writing projects and presentations.
- Objective A: Understand how contemporary society in Latin America has been shaped and influenced by its history; and
- Objective B: Understand the contemporary significance of key historical figures and events.
Student Learning Goal 3
Majors will communicate at the intermediate level in Spanish (comparable to Canisius College course level 216).
- Objective A: Speaking: Be able to create with language by combining and recombining learned elements; initiate and minimally sustain basic communicative tasks;
- Objective B: Listening: Be able to understand sentence-length utterances in a limited number of content areas (basic personal background, needs, interests and activities, social conventions, routine and some complex tasks such as lodging, transportation and shopping);
- Objective C: Reading: Be able to read consistently simple connected texts dealing with basic personal and social needs;
- Objective D: Writing: Be able to meet a number of practical writing needs involving short letters, personal preferences, daily routine, everyday events, and other topics grounded in personal experience.
Student Learning Goal 4
Majors will apply knowledge of Latin American and Latino literature and culture to contemporary issues and themes in writing projects and presentations.
- Objective A: Recognize the key beliefs, values, norms and cultural artifacts that comprise societal culture in Latin America, including its religions and various sub-cultures;
- Objective B: Appreciate the contributions made to culture in Latin America by some of its key cultural figures from literature, fine arts, philosophy, and religion; and
- Objective C: Understand the significance of key contributions to literature, fine arts, philosophy, and religion in Latin America and by Latinos in the United States.