Student candidates must fulfill the following requirements for the Counseling Programs:
- A completed Canisius graduate admissions application. You can apply online here.
- Submission of one (1) official undergraduate transcripts showing completion of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher learning with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7. Transcripts may be sent to you or directly to Canisius College by your institution. If sent to you, they will be in a sealed envelope that should be forwarded to us unopened. Applications for candidates with less than a 2.7 cumulative GPA will be reviewed by the program director for an admissions decision and may include additional requirements (e.g., personal interview, GRE/GMAT, etc.)
- Submission of two (2) letters of recommendation from academic or work-related sources.
- Canadian students must also provide a completed Certification of Finances form.
- All international students are required to provide proof of English proficiency if English is not their first (native) language. One option is the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam. A minimum score of 80 on the Internet-based version is required to be considered for admission to Canisius. Second, the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). A minimum score of at least 6.5 is required. Third, the Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) exam. A minimum score of at least 70 is required. Results must be sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
Successful completion of the items below is required by the end of the first semester of study:
- Completion of the Counseling and Human Services screening process which include the Minnesota Multi-Phasic Personality Inventory (MMPI), a written autobiography, and an empathy test.
- An individual interview must be completed with the student’s academic advisor.
- These tests are scheduled quarterly. You can sign up for the screening on the 8th floor of the Churchill Academic Tower.
For more information, contact:
Graduate Education Office
2001 Main Street
Buffalo, NY 14208