Medical Laboratory Science
Are You Career Focused & Don’t Mind the Sight of Blood?
The Medical Laboratory Science major at Canisius will take you on a very straight path to a rewarding and well-respected career in the burgeoning medical sciences field.
It’s simple – three years of campus-based classroom and lab work, one year of a hands-on internship in an accredited hospital laboratory, and successful completion of a board certification exam gives you one great career.
Why Study Medical Laboratory Science at Canisius
- At other schools, you spend four years in on-campus classrooms and labs before getting into a real-world setting. Not at Canisius. It’s three years. It’s an intensive program but you’ll get a jump on your career over other students in similar programs.
- This program appeals to students who have strong scientific interests and a desire for quantifiable and exact results. If that’s you, then this is the major for you.
- In your hospital rotation, you’ll work in such areas as chemistry, phlebotomy, bacteriology, immunology, blood-bank, hematology, and parasitology. You’ll have many choices to pick from for a specific area that appeals to you.
- Most Canisius students find dynamic career opportunities in laboratory medicine right after graduation. Others find jobs in areas such as medical administration, management and medical instrument sales.
- Class sizes are small which means you get the chance for a lot of one-on-one instruction.
- There is a national shortage of licensed medical lab professionals. This means hospitals and labs will be looking for you to work for them, not the other way around.
Want more information?
Email Dr. Banchich, Classics Department Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-843-1517 to talk to an admissions counselor