Medical Laboratory Science
Are You Career Focused & Don’t Mind the Sight of Blood?
The Medical Laboratory Science major at Canisius will take you on a very straight path to a rewarding and well-respected career in the burgeoning medical sciences field.
It’s simple – three years of campus-based classroom and lab work, one year of a hands-on internship in an accredited hospital laboratory, and successful completion of a board certification exam gives you one great career.
Why Study Medical Laboratory Science at Canisius
- At other schools, you spend four years in on-campus classrooms and labs before getting into a real-world setting. Not at Canisius. It’s three years. It’s an intensive program but you’ll get a jump on your career over other students in similar programs.
- This program appeals to students who have strong scientific interests and a desire for quantifiable and exact results. If that’s you, then this is the major for you.
- In your hospital rotation, you’ll work in such areas as chemistry, phlebotomy, bacteriology, immunology, blood-bank, hematology, and parasitology. You’ll have many choices to pick from for a specific area that appeals to you.
- Most Canisius students find dynamic career opportunities in laboratory medicine right after graduation. Others find jobs in areas such as medical administration, management and medical instrument sales.
- Class sizes are small which means you get the chance for a lot of one-on-one instruction.
- There is a national shortage of licensed medical lab professionals. This means hospitals and labs will be looking for you to work for them, not the other way around.
Want more information?
Call 1-800-843-1517 to talk to an admissions counselor