learning goals & objectives
Student Learning Goal 1
German Majors will demonstrate effective skills at the ACTFL advanced-low level according to three Communicative Modes: Interpretive, Interpersonal, Presentational
- Objective A: demonstrate literal and figurative comprehension based on authentic written and/or aural materials ( - interpretive);
- Objective B: actively and accurately negotiate meaning in fluent interpersonal communications ( - interpersonal);
- Objective C: accurately and fluently present oral information, concepts and ideas in a cohesive manner to an audience ( - presentational).
Student Learning Goal 2
German Majors will demonstrate knowledge of the target culture.
- Objective A: interpret how political, social, economic, geographic, and/or linguistic factors influence components of the target culture;
- Objective B: analyze the significance of artifacts created within the target culture as contributions made to the history of humanity.
Student Learning Goal 3
German Majors will demonstrate an ability to analyze literature written in the target language.
- Objective A: identify a divers range of literary and artistic movements in their historical, social and political contexts;
- Objective B: apply critical thinking to interpret literary texts.
Student Learning Goal 4
German Majors will demonstrate familiarity with the chronology and major events, themes, and figures of the post-WWII/post-Holocaust era in German history.
- Objective A: accurately identify and describe (the significance of) major events, people and/or artifacts since 1945;
- Objective B: situate events, people, and/or artifacts in their appropriate context of Germany’s history since 1945;
- Objective C: demonstrate clear awareness of change and continuity within the history of Germany since 1945.