Learn Outside the Classroom
Music students apply what they learn in the classroom in many different ways:
- Performance Ensembles - an integral part of the music program, the college’s ensembles are open to students of all majors.
- Internships – Music students can get real-world experience with placements at such organizations as Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra, Shea’s Performing Arts Center, MusicalFare Theatre and Shabby Road Recording Studios.
ArtsCanisius fills the calendar with concerts, exhibits and other arts events for the college community and the public.
Clubs for Music Students
Arts Promotion Club
This is a non-performing organization whose members help enrich the cultural environment on campus. Students:
- Assist with planning and promotion of ArtsCanisius events on campus
- Organize benefit recitals for Buffalo Public School music progams
- Demonstrate how to play an instrument for elementary students at BPO Instrument Zoo
Students in this select choir perform a wide range of choral repertoire from the popular to the classics. Members must also participate in the Chorale. Audition required.
The Drum Club provides students with the opportunity to explore the vast world of percussion. Directed by Bob Accurso, members of the ensemble experience the music of different cultures around the world.
Chamber Music Ensemble
This group is intended for instrumentalists and vocalists interested in rehearsing classical chamber music in small ensembles. Students are assigned based on instrumentation and experience and coached by members of the fine arts faculty. Opportunities to perform in public are offered.
- Canisius and the BPO Experience – a unique music course which combines classroom lectures with BPO performances, meetings with BPO conductors, soloists and musicians. Several members of the BPO serve as Canisius music faculty.
- Private instruction is available in voice, piano, guitar, strings, woodwinds, brass and percussion, harp and organ.