Society of Physics Students
Welcome to the Canisius College Chapter of the Society of Physics Students!
SPS is a professional organization run by and designed for college students. Anyone interested in physics can become a member of SPS. Besides physics majors, our members may include majors from pre-engineering, mathematics, chemistry, computer science, biology, and other fields.
What do we do?
The primary objectives of SPS include the advancement and diffusion of knowledge in physics, the encouragement of interest in physics throughout the academic and local communities, introducing students to a professional community, and promoting interaction and a sense of community among Canisius College students.
Besides our general meetings, SPS invites Canisius faculty to give talks on cutting edge research and careers in physics, encourages our members to give talks on something they’re interested in related to physics, and organizes trips to various physics conferences.
Canisius SPS is especially committed to sharing our excitement of physics with others. We host science cafes and assist with physics demonstrations at Canisius open houses. SPS also hosts a variety of social events. We organize movie nights, game nights, and restaurants trips where members can kick back, relax, and enjoy the company of fellow physics enthusiasts!
When do we meet?
SPS has their meetings in Science Hall, Rm 024. The specific day and time for Fall 2014 has not yet been decided, but our meetings are scheduled based on our member’s schedules and availability.
Anyone with an interest in physics from any major or school is welcome to join Canisius SPS and participate in our many activities. SPS National membership is $24 annually. Besides the opportunity to be involved with a professional organization, there are many benefits of joining SPS National which includes:
- Subscription to the Physics Today magazine (monthly).
- Subscription to The SPS Observer newsletter (quarterly).
- Access to the Journal of Undergraduate Research in Physics (online).
- Access to the SPS Jobs site and Careers Using Physics (CUP) website
- Eligibility for SPS scholarships, internships, research & travel grants, fellowships and other awards.
- Information and announcements about regional, national and international SPS meetings.
- Free membership with two AIP Member Societies for undergraduates only, for up to three years.