Early Assurance Program
This program helps qualified students get a jump on the graduate school admissions process because they apply at the end of their sophomore year. Canisius partners with University at Buffalo School of Medical & Biomedical Sciences and Dental schools, Buffalo, NY as well as State University of New York Upstate Medical University College of Medicine, Syracuse, NY
How many Canisius students may be accepted in the Early Assurance Program (EAP)?
There is no limit.
What if I am not accepted into the EAP?
Students may apply again to S.U.N.Y. at Buffalo, Upstate Medical School or other medical or dental schools in the traditional manner after their junior year. This does not diminish your future chances.
Why was the program instituted?
- To alleviate the pressure pre-medical and pre-dental students may feel over the course of their undergraduate study.
- To allow students freedom to expand their range of knowledge and breadth of education.
- To provide assurance and incentive to bright students who intend to pursue medical and dental studies in Buffalo or Syracuse.
- To provide additional guidance to accepted students.
- In certain instances, to provide the opportunity for research experience at the medical or dental school and/or Canisius College.
- To aid in the recruitment of excellent pre-medical students.
- To provide S.U.N.Y. Buffalo Medical and Dental schools and Upstate Medical School with excellent students who might otherwise be lost to other universities in the normal application procedure.
What are the advantages of the Early Assurance Program for the student?
- For the University at Buffalo Medical School - once accepted the student WILL NOT BE REQUIRED to take the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) and as long as the student maintains a 3.75 gpa they will have a seat in UB's Medical School.
- For Upstate Medical School, Syracuse, NY- once accepted the student must maintain a 3.5 gpa and MUST take the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) in the spring of their junior year. As long as they achieve a 30 on the MCAT they will have a seat in Upstate's Medical School.
- For the University at Buffalo Dental School-once accepted as long as the student maintains a 3.75 gpa and takes the Dental Admissions Test (DAT) and achieves a score of 20 in the following areas Academic Average, Perceptual Ability and Reading Comprehension sections the student will have a seat in UB's Dental School.
Note: scores for both medical and dental are subject to change and should always be verified prior to applying.
What are the program requirements?
- Students must be in the process of completing the minimal medical or dental school requirements at the time of application - the end of their third semester.
- Students must have for the:
University at Buffalo Medical School: combined SAT scores of 1400 and QPA of 3.75
Upstate Medical School, Syracuse, NY: Combined SAT scores of 1300
University at Buffalo Dental School 3.5 QPA.
- Students must recieve a recommendation from the Health Sciences Advisory and Recommendation Committee (HSARC) at Canisius.
- If accepted, students are expected to maintain their average for their respective program throughout the remainder of their undergraduate program.
Applying to EAP
Students are required to attend the orientation session in the fall semester of their sophomore year, obtain application forms from the pre-med center and compose and submit a dossier to the Pre-Med Center Office in November.
Students must answer three essay questions. Why I want to be a doctor/Dentist? and two other questions of there choosing. Six other questions are provided by the PreMed office. Each question should have an answer of approximately 250 words or two pages. Submit one original and eight copies for each member of the Health Science Advisory and Recommendation Committee (HSARC).
In a separate document, list extracurricular activities, honors, scholarships, hobbies, outside employment (including hours per week and place of employment), hospital and clinical experience from both high school and college. Submit one original and eight copies.
Attach a 2x2 inch photo of yourself to the first page of your autobiography. Include eight copies.
Submit the names of three teachers (preferably two from the sciences and one from the humanities), or two teachers and an outside employer, who have agreed to write a letter of recommendation. Give each reference a waiver form with the appropriate box checked, and request that their recommendations be forwarded to the pre-med center no later than November. Names of references can be submitted in writing to the pre-med center office (HSC 306B) or e-mailed (email@example.com).
Candidates will be evaluated by HSARC during January and letters of recommendation will be sent out thereafter. Learn more about HSARC and its recommendation categories.
Students should contact the pre-med center (888-3208) to schedule mock interviews in preparation for graduate school interviews which will be held according to the time table below. Students will be notified of acceptance or rejection in accordance to the time table below. Accepted students must fill out the AMCAS application package during their senior year.
Early Assurance Medical and Dental Programs at Canisius
- 3.75 GPA
- 1400 SATs
- maintain 3.75 after acceptance
- Medical Experience
- Volunteer Experience
- 3.5 GPA
- 1300 SATs or 29 ACT
- maintain 3.50 after acceptance
- 30 MCAT
- Medical Experience
- Volunteer Experience
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (4+4)
- Top 10% of High School Class
- 3.5 High School GPA
- 1170 SATs or 26 ACT
- Maintain 3.5 after acceptances
- 24 MCAT
- Osteopathic shadowing experience
- 3.5 GPA
- Maintain 3.75 after acceptance
- DAT Academic Average score of 20 and a Perceptual Ability Test score of 20
- Dental Experience
- Volunteer experience
- SAT scores are not necessary for this program.
Applying to Graduate School - Important Dates
|Buffalo Medical||Syracuse Medical||Buffalo Dental|
|Application deadline||February 1||July 1||June 1|
|Transcripts, copies of SAT scores and letters of recommendation due||February 15||July 1||June 1|
|Interviews||Mid April||Early September||June|
|Notification of Acceptance||Mid May||Late September||On or before July 15|