School Psychology Minor

The Canisius College school psychology minor is helpful to any student who is interested in education, testing, psychology, special education, or working with children. School psychologists, school counselors, and school social workers work together with parents, teachers, and administrators to ensure that a student’s personal, social, academic, and career development is maximized.

The minor has been an important part of the psychology curriculum for more than 25 years. A generation of students has gone on to careers in the schools as psychologists, counselors, and social workers. Many of them returned to Western New York after graduate school. There are several Canisius graduates now working as school psychologists in the area and even more as counselors and social workers. Ten members of the class of 2006 were accepted into school psychology programs as far away as Florida.

Here is an overview of the three fields.

School Psychologist

What is a school psychologist?

Educational Requirements:
  • Master degree in school psychology (60 graduate credit hours)
  • Specialist degree in school psychology (75 graduate credit hours)
    (Both the master's and specialist degrees require two years of coursework followed by one year of paid internship.)
  • Doctorate degree in school psychology (90 graduate credit hours + dissertation)
School Psychologists are employed in:
  • Public/private schools (most common)
  • Universities/colleges
  • Private practice
  • Institutions
  • Community agencies
  • Mental health centers
  • Hospitals
  • Clinics

Salaries can range from $35,000-$80,000+ for ten months, depending on geographic location and experience.

National Association of School Psychologists

School Counselor

Educational Requirements

Master’s degree in school counseling or counselor education (60 graduate credit hours)

  • The three main roles of a school counselor are counseling, consulting, and coordinating.
  • School counselors participate in individual counseling, small group counseling, large group guidance, consultation, career counseling, and scheduling activities.
School counselors are employed in:

Elementary, middle, junior high, senior high, and post-secondary schools.

American School Counselor Association

School Social Worker

Educational Requirements:
  • Bachelor of Social Work (BSW)-undergraduate 4-year degree (entry level)
  • Master’s of Social Work (MSW) 60 graduate credit hours (does not require BSW)
  • Doctorate of Social Work (DSW) or a Ph.D.

*Most states require MSW for full professional practice.

Responsibilities of a School Social Worker:
  • Individual counseling - Small amounts of assessment
  • Group counseling - Consultation
  • Intervention - Coordination
Social Workers are employed in:
  • Family services agencies - Schools
  • Child welfare agencies - Hospitals
  • Private practice - Public and private practice
  • Community mental health centers - Universities and colleges

With a BSW, a social worker can expect an annual income ranging to $35,000.

With an MSW, a social worker can expect an annual income ranging to $50,000.

*These figures depend on geographic location, experience, and employment setting.

National Association of Social Workers

For more information on minor requirements, please click here.