Probation FAQ's

What does it mean to be on probation?

Students who are on probation have a cumulative GPA below 2.0 and are considered to be in poor standing with the college and academically at risk. Those students who are allowed to continue with course work while on probation must adhere to requirements indicated on their probation contract by his/her associate dean.

How do I get back in good standing?

Students with a cumulative GPA above 2.0 are considered to be in good standing with the college. Raising your GPA can be challenging, we recommend that you be sure to consult with your advisor about course selection, adhere to all probation contract requirements and utilize relevant support services early and often.

Why does the college care if my GPA is below 2.0?

There are two reasons the college cares:

  • Students must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 to be eligible for graduation. Additionally, students who consistently achieve a low GPA are most likely behind in graduation requirements. Allowing students to incur more dept while continually achieving poor results can be damaging to the student’s academic and financial record.  

  • Upholding the academic integrity and standards of the college.

What will happen if I don’t raise my GPA above the 2.0 mark?

A student who has a GPA below 2.0 for the second semester in a row may be dismissed from the college. However, associate deans make dismissal decisions on a case-by-case basis and are careful to consider all factors. Adhering to all of your probation contract requirements and utilizing academic support services regularly will strengthen your case if you miss the 2.0 mark.

If I am dismissed from Canisius can I transfer to another institution?

Typically, a cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required to transfer to another four-year institution; however, community colleges such as ECC will allow transfer students under most circumstances including poor GPA.

What are some ways to quickly recover academically?

Retaking courses you have done poorly in and achieving a more favorable grade can help significantly. While the first grade will still show on your transcript it will be removed from your cumulative GPA and the new grade will replace it. Catching up in the summer is also a smart choice. In order to improve one’s GPA, summer courses must be taken at Canisius. Credits, but not grades, transfer from other institutions.

What support services are available to assist me with improving my academic record?

Academic Support

Personal Support

  • Counseling Center: confidential personal counseling (FH-LL; x2620)
  • Health Center: wellness and medical support for all students (FH-LL; x2610)
  • Residence Life: community building, support and conflict resolution for resident students (DG-LL; x8300)
  • Financial Aid: scholarship, FAFSA, loan and aid guidance and assistance (OM 100; x 2300)
  • Student Accounts: billing assistance and payment plans (HS 202; x2801)

I am an NCAA Athlete. Will I still be eligible if my GPA is below 2.0?

Depending on your class year and fulfillment of other NCAA academic requirements, you may still be eligible. Please consult with the Director of Student-Athlete Academic Support Services for clarification on individual circumstances.

Can I withdraw from a course?

Mostly likely, however, depending on your academic record there could be potential financial aid concerns. Please be sure to consult with financial aid if you are considering withdrawing from a course. Additionally, if your associate dean has placed a withdrawal restriction on your probation contract you will need to consult with him/her regarding your situation. For more information see the withdrawal policy in the college catalog.

Do I have to continue meeting with a mentor after I raise my GPA above 2.0?

No, however, we may recommend that you continue in the program depending on how close you are to the 2.0 mark. Additionally, students who wish to continue with mentoring, but are not required to, are more than welcome.

I need to change my major, but I don’t know what to choose. Who can I talk to?

There are several places you can go for assistance. If you are thinking about a particular major and would like more information about it you may consider visiting with a professor in that department. If you are unsure about choices the Career Center is a great place to start. They have tools to help you identify your interests and information about how to apply those interests to a major and a future career. Please call or visit (OM 013 888-2475) for information. Additionally, you should speak to your current advisor about your uncertainty so they can properly advise you on course selection.