Student Retention

Student Retention

Transfer Students FAQs

I didn’t do well on my first test. What should I do?

  • Visit with your instructor. Take the initiative and ask your professor’s advice on preparing for the exams and tackling course material. If you don't react to a low grade, a professor may assume that you don't care.
  • Stop by the Tutoring Center for help. The center offers assistance in a variety of academic disciplines with a staff that is comprised of peer and adjunct faculty tutors.
  • Get an Academic Mentor. They will support you with academic guidance specific to your needs. Call (716) 888-3748.

I received disability accommodations at my last institution, what office handles them at Canisius?

  • The Disability Support Services (DSS) Office provides academic and non-academic accommodations for students with disabilities (both permanent and temporary). The DSS mission is to see that no student is excluded or discriminated against in participating in any Canisius College program, function, or activity, while maintaining the highest level of academic integrity. Students must register and meet with a professional in the office to receive services. Needs are evaluated on a case-by-case, course-by-course basis.

I can't decide on a major, who can help?

  • Set up an appointment with someone in the Career Center. They have several tools that can help you to determine your areas of interest and which majors may match them.
  • Meet with your academic advisor. Your academic advisor can help you select classes that match your interests and fulfill the college core and major requirements.
  • Meet with a professor from a prospective program. Ask plenty of questions and keep in mind how long it may take to finish a new degree program based on the credits you have already completed.

Where can I find out about campus events and clubs?

  • Campus Programming and Leadership Development located in the Winter Student Center is a campus events office that coordinates a host of programs designed to enhance the Canisius experience, such as leadership workshops, Welcome Week, Senior Week, and Family Night. They also sponsor more than 100 student run clubs and organizations. There is something for every student to get involved with. If you have an interest and there is not a club addressing it, CPLD will assist you in starting it!
  • Check out the list of events advertised on myCanisius.
  • Get involved with one extracurricular activity right away. Attending a club meeting is an opportunity to meet students who have similar interests.
  • Are you interested in service? Visit Campus Ministry to find out about the variety of retreats and opportunities. Another resource is Sister Pat in Community Based Learning. She can connect you with opportunities for serving in the Buffalo area with fellow Canisius students.
  • If you are a commuter, talk to your commuter student representative. Stop in to the Commuter Student Association office in the Student Center and see what opportunities they have available. Their events are designed to fit into the hectic schedule of commuter life.

Who can I speak to about personal issues that are troubling me?

  • Speaking with a counselor about what is causing stress in your transition can be just the help you need to turn your semester around. The Canisius Counseling Center offers free, confidential counseling for all students. Call today to schedule an appointment.
  • If you live on campus, you may choose to seek guidance from your RA, hall director or a staff member in Residence Life. These folks are excellent resources and can assist you with your concerns.
  • Visit the Student Success and Retention office. This office can offer support, guidance and appropriate referrals for students with concerns.

I’ve been out sick, what should I do?

  • Contact your professors immediately by email or phone. The sooner your professors are aware of your situation, the sooner they may be able to help you catch up with class work.
  • Get help from the Student Health Center. They have physicians and physicians’ assistants who see students on campus.
  • If you are experiencing a long term illness or hospitalization, contact your professors to discuss options.

I’m not sure I understand my bill…what should I do?

  • Contact Student Accounts. They can explain your bill and help you set up a payment plan if necessary.
  • Consult with a financial aid counselor. They can review your case and advise you on loan and aid options.

Who can help me with technological problems?

  • Contact the Information Technology Services help desk for assistance. They are located on the main floor of the Bouwhuis library. They can help diagnose problems on student computers, and if the computer is broken, can refer you to businesses in the area that will do repairs. Here are some services they provide:
    • Establish wireless network connections, assist network registration
    • Give advice on removing spyware, adware, viruses
    • Install MS-Office from student’s media
    • Provide and install anti-virus program
    • Convert word documents to new version
    • Consult and recommend on computer purchases and warranty repairs
    • Reset password
    • Assist with library printer setup
    • Assist with backup to student’s external drive