Class of 2017 Requirements
Important Health Information You Need to Know
Health forms will be mailed to you beginning in March 2013 and are due back to Student Health by July 31, 2013.
If you miss that deadline or submit an incomplete form you risk registration cancellation, access to college housing, buildings, and technology and campus events. These measures are strictly enforced.
Physical Examination Requirement
You must have a complete physical examination done within the past 12 months. If you are planning to play a Division 1 intercollegiate sport, your physical must be done within 6 months of first sports participation. Please ask your doctor to complete the college physical examination form. Other forms often do not meet all the college requirements and are deemed incomplete.
During your physical, be sure the doctor screens you for tuberculosis and signs and dates all sections on the health forms. Without these your form is incomplete.
New York State Immunization Requirements
Measles, Mumps and Rubella (Public Health Law 2165)
New York requires you, as a college student, to submit proof of vaccination against measles, mumps and rubella. This means you must have received 2 shots against measles, and one shot against mumps and rubella. Your doctor must sign the immunization section of physical examination form verifying the dates. Without the doctor’s signature, your form is incomplete.
Meningitis (Public Health Law 2167)
New York requires that you and your parents be aware of the risk of getting sick with meningococcal meningitis as a new college student. To demonstrate that awareness you must complete the meningitis response section on the physical examination form.by providing the date that you received vaccination against meningitis strains A,C,W, Y 135. The vaccination must be within the past 10 years. If you do not wish vaccination, complete the declination statement.
You must sign and date the meningitis response section.
If you are under the age of 18 year, your parent or legal guardian must sign this section for you.
Without signature, your form is incomplete.
Canisius strongly recommends that you have health insurance and carry your health insurance card with you on campus. Call member services at your plan’s administrative offices and request a card. It is also a good time to ask how your plan works while you are a college student. This important information prevents unnecessary out of pocket medical expenses for you and your family.
Class of 2017 Timeline
- Check the mail or your portal for the 2013-2014 physical examination and immunization form
- Make an appointment for your physical examination with your health care provider.
- Contact your health insurance carrier, request your own health insurance card and ask how your plan works while you are college student.
- Discuss medications you take daily with the doctor who prescribes them. Make sure you bring enough medication to campus to last until your next visit home.
- If necessary arrange with your doctor to send prescriptions for medication refills to a pharmacy in Western New York. A list of pharmacies near campus is found on this web page under services
- Arrange to see any medical specialists (dermatologist, orthopedist, counselors, dentist) before August 2013 and make follow up appointments over breaks in October, November, or December when you will be back home
- Good luck on final exams
- Congratulations on your graduation!
- If you need additional services on campus such as counseling or disability support, check out their web pages. Contact those offices to discuss services that might be helpful for your success.
- Check over your physical examination form, make sure are sections are complete and all signatures and dates are recorded where requested.
- Mail the form to Student Health no later than July 29, 2013
- Prepare a first aid bag for your dorm room, include a thermometer, cough and cold medicines, an over the counter antihistamine, acetaminophen or ibuprofen, band aids, antibiotic ointment, ice pack, ace wrap and a flash light.
- Purchase a supply of alcohol based hand sanitizer to keep your hands clean, and cleaning supplies to keep your dorm room neat and fresh.
- Check out GriffMed, the on line student health portal, accessible from your myCanisius page under services. Use Griff Med for health information and to schedule a Health Center appointment.