The following information regarding I-20s is very important if you wish to avoid problems at the border. Please read and follow instructions carefully.
- Check the information on the I-20, especially the items listed in box #1. If there are any errors in this box, please notify the Registrar (716-888-2990) at once.
- Make your Visa appointment with a US Embassy or Consulate.
- You must complete line #11 on the I-20.
- Prior to entering the United States for the first time, you must pay your SEVIS Fee.
- Upon entering the United States for the first time, present your I-20 form and proof of SEVIS Fee payment to the U.S. immigration officer at the booth at the bridge you cross or port of entry. At this time, you must go into the U.S. immigration office where the officer on duty will ask for your I-20 and Certification of Finances. Even if the officer at the booth does not ask you to pull over and go into the U.S. Immigration office, you must do so. The officer will stamp your I-20 with an admission number and return to you page 3-4 of the I-20 along with an I-94 (a white card which is a record of departure).
- During the first week of classes in the Fall semester, you must report to the International Student Programs Office, located in Frisch Hall, Room 005, to have your I-20 signed by a Designated School Official. U.S. immigration regulations require this signature as proof that you have reported to the school indicated on your I-20. The signature is good for one year only. Therefore, you must get a new signature each year you attend Canisius College. All students must still report to the ISP office to check-in during the first week of classes in the Spring semester so that we can register you as present.
- You will need to present your I-20 and I-94 each time you enter the U.S.
- For more information regarding I-20's visit the USCIS Website.