Respiratory Care Learning Goals & Objectives
Learning Goal 1
Candidates in the Respiratory Care program will demonstrate content knowledge and professional knowledge necessary for successful advanced performance in respiratory therapy.
- Assess and quantify patient's cardiopulmonary status,to provide appropriate care by applying patient care protocols, and to evaluate the medical and cost effectiveness of their care.
Learning Goal 2
Candidates in the Respiratory Care program will demonstrate professional skills and dispositions necessary for successful advanced performance in respiratory therapy.
- Demonstrate therapeutic techniques, medications, and medical devices to evaluate and treat patients with increasingly complex cardiopulmonary disorders.
- Develop clinical skills to become specialists in the areas of adult critical care, pediatric critical care, neonatal critical care, pulmonary function technology and cardiopulmonary diagnostics, polysomnography, and other clinical areas, as needed.
Learning Goal 3
Candidates in the Respiratory Care program will demonstrate willingness to use their advanced skills to benefit and serve patients who utilize respiratory therapy services while maintaining an environment that offers a commitment to social justice with respect and dignity to all.
- Model and promote dignity and respect to all patients while administering appropriate care and assistance in respiratory care.
Learning Goal 4
Candidates in the Respiratory Care program will continuously assess and refine their professional practice as they build a large collection of research-based knowledge, skills , and attitudes for ensuring professionalism throughout their professional career as respiratory therapists.
- Demonstrate professional educational knowledge necessary to teach at college and university based respiratory care educational programs.
- Demonstrate ability to formulate appropriate questions, organize and test hypotheses, and apply research results to the practice of respiratory care.
- Act with integrity and fairness to ensure a professional system of accountability for every student’s academic and social success and will model principles of self-awareness, reflective practice, transparency, and ethical behavior.
Learning Goal 5
Candidates in the Respiratory Care program will become acquire the necessary knowledge to become effective leaders in their field by developing confidence in their own decision-making with respect to their patients, the community and their peers.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, decision-making, and competence to perform newly expected responsibilities.
- Demonstrate leadership in the areas of management, supervision, education and research.
- Demonstrate ability to plan, develop, and deliver high quality, cost-effective health care services.