Respiratory Care Learning Goals & Objectives
Learning Goal 1
Candidates in the Respiratory Care program will demonstrate content knowledge and professional knowledge necessary for successful advanced performance in respiratory therapy.
- Assess and evaluate patient's cardiopulmonary status,to provide appropriate care by applying patient care protocols, and to evaluate the medical and cost effectiveness of their care.
Learning Goal 2
Candidates in the Respiratory Care program will demonstrate professional skills and dispositions necessary for successful advanced performance in respiratory therapy.
- Develop a better understanding of therapeutic techniques, medications, and medical devices to evaluate and treat patients with increasingly complex cardiopulmonary disorders.
- Develop clinical knowledge to become specialists in the areas of critical care, pulmonary function technology and cardiopulmonary diagnostics, polysomnography, and other clinical areas, as needed.
Learning Goal 3
Candidates in the Respiratory Care program will demonstrate willingness to use their advanced skills to benefit and serve patients who utilize respiratory therapy services while maintaining an environment that offers a commitment to social justice with respect and dignity to all.
- Model and promote dignity and respect to all patients while administering appropriate care and assistance in respiratory care.
Learning Goal 4
Candidates in the Respiratory Care program will continuously assess and refine their professional practice as they build a large collection of research-based knowledge, skills , and attitudes for ensuring professionalism throughout their professional career as respiratory therapists.
- Demonstrate professional educational knowledge necessary to teach at college and university based respiratory care educational programs.
- Demonstrate ability to formulate appropriate questions, organize and test hypotheses, and apply research results to the practice of respiratory care.
- Act with integrity and fairness to ensure a professional system of accountability for every student’s academic and social success and will model principles of self-awareness, reflective practice, transparency, and ethical behavior.
Learning Goal 5
Candidates in the Respiratory Care program will become acquire the necessary knowledge to become effective leaders in their field by developing confidence in their own decision-making with respect to their patients, the community and their peers.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, decision-making, and competence to perform newly expected responsibilities.
- Demonstrate leadership in the areas of management, supervision, education and research.
- Demonstrate ability to plan, develop, and deliver high quality, cost-effective health care services.