Learning Goals & Objectives
Learning Goal 1
Studio Art students will use visual design terminology in speaking and writing.
- Objective A: Define the elements and principles of design in visual art through group discussion and critique.
- Objective B: Write an artist’s statement, reflective paper or critique using technical terms to communicate ideas using technical terms.
Learning Goal 2
Studio Art students will develop technical skills.
- Objective A: Utilize hand/eye coordination to render from life realistically
- Objective B: Utilize skills specific to different studio disciplines such as woodworking, printmaking, carving, sculpting or photography to create work in those fields.
Learning Goal 3
Studio Art students will use written and verbal skills to articulate concepts and techniques critically.
- Objective A: Explicate the rationale behind their work materially, conceptually and formally in an artist statement
- Objective B: Engage in critical discourse on their work and the work of their peers during group critiques.
Learning Goal 4
Studio Art students will describe developments and trends in art history and contemporary art via artist statement and group critique.
- Objective A: Position their work within a contemporary artistic framework and compare their work within larger art historical themes both written and orally.
- Objective B: Evaluate any given piece of art within a contemporary framework and find its fundamental historical significance during group critiques and in written statements or reflection papers.
Learning Goal 5
Studio Art students will experience placing work on public display.
- Objective A: Locate galleries or venues appropriate for the display of their work.
- Objective B: Curate and hang their work for exhibition.