Financial & Administrative Issues

What will it cost for my son or daughter to study abroad?
If your son or daughter goes to a Canisius semester abroad program you will continue to pay Canisius tuition. In addition you will need to cover expenses for housing, airfare, travel, books, and meals. You will find information on expenses in the program brochure which is also on the Study Abroad website :

When a student participates in a Canisius overseas semester program, the tuition and study abroad fee charges are equivalent to Canisius’s on-campus tuition and general fee charges. The cost of meals, housing, study materials, insurance, travel and personal expenses is additional, just as it is on campus. All undergraduate semester and academic year study abroad is administered by the Canisius Study Abroad Office with program charges billed through the Canisius Office of Student Accounts.

Program costs other than tuition vary widely from one program to another. The outline program brochure shows not only the cost of tuition and study abroad fee but also the estimated cost for housing, study abroad, health insurance and other related expenses.

How much will the flight abroad cost and when will it have to be paid?
The cost of the flight abroad depends upon the time of the program and the location. Canisius students, faculty, and administrators are required to work with a travel agency, The Travel Team, who will assist the students with flight arrangements. Once a reservation is made (usually about November for the spring semester and April for the fall semester, full payment must be made within 1-3 days.

Are there other costs that my son or daughter will incur prior to departure?
Yes, in addition to Canisius tuition and study abroad fee, some of these costs may include the passport, visa, housing, ISIC card and airplane ticket.

What happens if my son or daughter withdraws from the program?
Possible answer from other website, not sure whether these rules apply to Canisius at all: “In the event that your son or daughter must withdraw from his or her program, the Study Abroad Office should be contacted immediately. Students going on external programs should also be sure to contact the program provider. If your son or daughter returns to Canisius within the first two weeks of the semester at Canisius, he or she may request permission from his/her Associate Dean to re-enroll at Canisius. Students will be responsible for their entire housing cost abroad. Students will not receive a tuition refund. If the student withdraws for a serious medical or psychological problem which is documented by a physician or psychologist, the Study Abroad Director and appropriate Associate Dean will determine if tuition can be refunded.

What happens if my son or daughter has guaranteed on-campus housing at Canisius and she/he goes abroad?
Housing will be guaranteed for them when they return, but they should notify the Office of Residence Life that they will be studying abroad. They will be required to make a housing deposit for the next semester.

How does study abroad affect my son or daughter’s financial aid?
If your son or daughter is participating in a Canisius program, he or she remains eligible for Canisius, federal, and state financial aid; however, depending on the program, his or her aid may be adjusted especially regarding additional loan eligibility.  ULLC students, tuition exchange students, children of Canisius faculty and staff, and students studying on certain programs (Australia, El Salvador, London, Galway, or Italy) must meet with a Financial Aid Counselor to determine their financial aid eligibility for their semester abroad. If your son or daughter is participating in an external program, he or she will not be eligible for Canisius financial aid but can apply for federal and state financial aid.  If your son or daughter receives financial aid, we always encourage that s/he consults with her or his financial aid advisor prior to going abroad.

Why does Canisius charge home tuition for its study abroad programs?
Canisius treats a semester abroad with a Canisius program exactly as a semester on campus. Students can transfer all their financial aid, receive full course credit for a semester/year, and their grades abroad are factored into their GPA. In addition, students can receive transfer credit for many required courses in their major, minor and core subjects. The Canisius Study Abroad Office provides many services to your son or daughter before departure, during their stay abroad, and after they return. These services include advising students, coordinating with faculty, and liaising with the host university. Additionally, some programs have on-site coordinators who provide a range of services to students. Your tuition dollars support all aspects of your son or daughter’s study abroad experience.

What’s the best way for my son or daughter to access money abroad?
The best way to access funds while abroad is by using an ATM.  Most banks now charge a foreign transaction fee of 2-3% for each withdrawal. Some banks also charge a non-bank ATM fee. Check with your bank for its policies. Students are encouraged to secure a duplicate ATM card in the event that their original card is lost, damaged, or stolen.

Your son or daughter will also find it convenient to use credit cards to make purchases abroad.

These cards will allow her or him to access funds from a home account and make purchases abroad. MasterCard and Visa are the most commonly accepted credit cards. Before your son or daughter leaves home, it is advisable to check with your credit card company about fees for purchases made abroad. Some countries will require your child to establish a bank account and to prove that he or she has adequate funds to live there. If this is the case, the on-site coordinator or host university usually assists or advises your child about setting up a bank account during the orientation period. It is imperative that your child alert his or her bank or credit card company that he or she will be studying abroad in order to avoid having their card frozen.

Will study abroad cost more than staying at Canisius?
In economically difficult times it is important to remember that studying abroad does not have to be more expensive than studying on campus. While some programs in large European metropolitan areas may cost more than a semester in Buffalo, expenditures for many other programs are less than at Canisius. There are many ways in which some measures of frugality can go a long way; for example, cooking instead of frequent use of restaurants, travel in the host country instead of longer trips in the region, taking advantage of many subsidized cultural activities such as free museums, and student tickets for performances. The money students spend on travel and shopping depends on individual spending habits.

Can my son or daughter work while abroad?
Working abroad depends on the regulations in the host country. You should be aware that working abroad will reduce the amount of time the student will have for studying and travel.

How much spending money does my son or daughter need?
The amount a student spends abroad depends on individual spending habits. Most students spend between $2500-$6000.

How should I ensure that my son or daughter has money overseas?
You should, of course, first check with your local bank on what they recommend. Generally speaking, your son or daughter will not need to open up a bank account overseas, as most international banks accept US ATM cards. It is also generally not advisable to bring cash or travelers cheques overseas because they can be lost or stolen and because they return the lowest currency exchange rates. We do advise that your son or daughter bring a credit card in case of emergencies, but please make sure to keep a copy of it at home in case it is lost or stolen. The easiest way to provide your child with money is to deposit money into his or her ATM account.

Also discuss with your daughter or son how you will transfer funds, in case of emergency, and how the funds you send overseas will be spent. For example, it should be clear how much money is budgeted for emergencies, travel, sightseeing, food and entertainment. Occasionally, our office encounters instances in which students choose to spend money on less essential items and fail to budget effectively for living expenses.