Canisius Presents ArtsCanisius Programs
BUFFALO, NY – ArtsCanisius presents the following performances, which are free and open to the public:
- Sunday, November 4 – Student/Faculty Recital at 2:30 p.m. in Christ the King Chapel. The recital features a variety of musical performances by both Canisius College students and faculty.
- Sunday, November 11 – the Erie County Wind Ensemble performs under the direction of John Maguda, and the Canisius College Concert Band performs under the direction of Paul D. Biddle at 7:00 p.m. in the Montante Cultural Center.
- Friday, November 16 – Brian Milbrand Studio Art Show Opening Reception from
5 p.m. – 7 p.m. in the Andrew L. Bouwhuis Library. Milbrand’s exhibit continues during regular library hours in the Peter A. and Mary Lou Vogt Gallery in the Bouwhuis Library. For library hours, visit canisius.edu/library or call (716) 888-2900.
Milbrand will exhibit his “melt paintings.” He freezes watercolors into ice cubes and then lets them melt onto the paper while he films the process. The video is then projected onto the drawing for the exhibition. The paintings will be of atomic bombs, star explosions, black holes and melting faces.
Milbrand’s films have been screened across the country and in Buffalo at venues including Hallwalls, Squeaky Wheel, the Carnegie Art Center and the Burchfield Penney Art Center. He is a member of the Red Dream Cabaret and was a founding member of Kamikaze – the former Buffalo art collective that performed a season of micro-cinema works in 2002-2003. Currently he works as the equipment manager/technical assistant at Buffalo State College.
- Friday, November 30 – Canisius College Concert Band performs under the direction of Paul D. Biddle and the Canisius College Jazz Ensemble performs under the direction of Dave Schiavone at 7:30 p.m. in the Montante Cultural Center.
- Saturday, December 1 – Canisius College Chorale performs under the direction of Frank Scinta at 7:30 p.m. in the Montante Cultural Center.
- Monday, December 3 – Canisius College Chamber Orchestra performs under the direction of Ansgarius Aylward at 7:30 p.m. in the Montante Cultural Center.
The ArtsCanisius series at Canisius College presents concerts by professional musicians, including members of the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra and Canisius faculty, art shows and lectures by professional artists, as well as student recitals. For more information, contact the Fine Arts Department at (716) 888-2536 or visit the website.
One of 28 Jesuit universities in the nation, Canisius is the premier private university in Western New York.