Nov. ArtsCanisius Event Features "History of Ukulele"
BUFFALO, NY – Canisius Collegepresents the following November ArtsCanisius events, which are free and open to the public:
- Sunday, November 13 - Student/Faculty Recital at 2:30 p.m. in Christ the King Chapel. The recital will feature performances by members of the Canisius College faculty and students including a brass quintet, string quartet, Canisius College Drum Club, a flute duet, a violin duet, and instrumental and vocal solos.
- Monday, November 14 - Meet-the-Faculty Recital featuring Betsy Reeds, flute and Suzanne Thomas, harp, at 12 p.m. in the Montante Cultural Center. The recital will feature music for flute and harp, including works by Jacques Ibert, Vincent Persichetti and Gary Schocker.
- Reeds is currently second flute with the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra (BPO). She has been a soloist with the Springfield Symphony Orchestra and the BPO, as well as various chamber orchestras.
- Thomas, the principal harpist with the BPO since 1996, devotes her time to performance of orchestral and chamber music, and promotes the harp through teaching and master classes.
- Sunday, November 20 - “A Brief History of the Ukulele: The Life and Times of a Four- Stringed Underdog,” a Meet-the-Faculty Recitalfeaturing Stuart Fuchs, ukulele and friends at 2:30 p.m. in theMontante Cultural Center. During this performance, listeners will hear ukulele music, which ranges from the instrument’s Portuguese and Hawaiian origins through the era of Vaudeville, Tin Pan Alley, jazz, blues, and J.S. Bach.
Fuchs is a full-time professional musician, arts educator, and creativity consultant based in Western New York. He performs the acoustic and electric guitar, ukulele, percussion, didgeridoo and many other indigenous instruments from around the world.
The ArtsCanisius series at Canisius College presents concerts by professional musicians, including members of the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra and Canisius faculty, art shows and lectures by professional artists, as well as student recitals. For more information, contact the Fine Arts Department at (716) 888-2536 or visit canisius.edu/artscanisius.
Canisius is one of 28 Jesuit, Catholic colleges in the nation and the premier private college in Western New York. Canisius prepares leaders – intelligent, caring, faithful individuals – able to pursue and promote excellence in their professions, their communities and their service to humanity.