Dr. Estanek’s research specialty is the practice of student affairs at Catholic colleges and universities. She founded the Institute for Student Affairs at Catholic Colleges in 1995, and co-founded the Association for Student Affairs at Catholic Colleges and Universities in 1999. She has written extensively on topics related to student affairs practice and mission.
Dr. Estanek is active in both national student affairs organizations (ACPA and NASPA) and in the two Catholic student affairs organizations (ASACCU and JASPA).
- Presidents' Distinguished Service Award (Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities)
- JASPA Scholarship Award (Jesuit Association of Student Personnel Administrators)
- Sandra M. Estanek, Ph.D. Young Alumni Award named in her honor (Association for Student Affairs at Catholic Colleges and Universities)
- Diamond Honoree (ACPA: College Student Educators International)
- Robert H. Shaffer Award for Academic Excellence as a Graduate Faculty Member (NASPA: Student Affairs Professionals in Higher Education Region II)
Student Life in Catholic Higher Education: Advancing Good Practice (2017)
"Preparation of New Professionals and Mission Driven Hiring Practices" (2011)
"Principles of Good Practice for Student Affairs at Catholic Colleges and Universities" (2010)
Reading the Signs: Using Case Studies to Discuss Student Life Issues at Catholic Colleges and Universities (2008)
Rethinking Student Affairs Practice (2004)