Be part of a winning tradition with a master’s in sport administration in one of America’s top sport towns. Share a backyard with storied franchises like the Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bills while you learn from some of the leaders in the sport industry. Become a coach, scout, athletic director, front office manager, public relations officer or marketer and help build your team’s legacy.
Turn Your Passion for Sport Into a Career With a Master’s in Sport Administration
Earn your sport administration degree at Canisius College and prepare for the exciting, fast-paced sport industry. You’ll get hands-on experience in an NCAA D1 program, with access to assistantships, coaching, operations and facility management opportunities. In Buffalo, one of the greatest sport towns in America, you’ll also enjoy a multitude of internship and networking opportunities thanks to our proximity to sport teams like the Buffalo Bills, Sabres, Bisons and Bandits and organizations such as Pegula Sports and Entertainment (PSE) and New Era Cap.
Whether you enroll on campus or earn your master’s in sport administration online, you will make key connections and access immense professional development and job placement opportunities with a vast alumni network of 1,400+ who live and work globally. Snag the job of your dreams thanks to personalized mentoring, advising and coaching from faculty with decades of professional experience who teach our courses for sports management.
Sport Administration Degree Highlights
- Tailor your experience with a flexible sports master’s program. Earn your master’s in sport administration online or on campus. Hybrid students receive additional business expertise through four MBA courses.
- Study at your pace. Complete the sport administration degree in as little as one year or slow down the tempo and take classes when your time allows.
- Kick-start or advance your career with built-in internships. Participate in D1 game day operations that include ticketing, marketing and communication, facility management and coaching for practicum hours and hands-on experience.
- Enjoy exciting games and events with free tickets to all D1 home games.
- Add muscle to your academic and professional credentials by supplementing your courses for sports management with travel abroad opportunities and industry events.
- Participate in the college’s Institute for Research in Sport (IRIS) and pursue independent research relevant to your interests in the sports industry, with the goal of having your work published.
Key Courses for Sports Management
- Leadership in Sport — Examine the concepts relating to efficient management and leadership of the sport industry. Attend guest lectures given by industry leaders to get insight into the various career paths in the industry and how to become a leader in sport.
- Rule Compliance in Intercollegiate Athletics — Familiarize yourself with the governance structure and legislative process of the NCAA. Taught by an expert with 15+ years’ experience, you’ll gain an intimate understanding of NCAA rules, procedures and processes.
- Professional Sport — Learn about professional sports and their leagues, including organizational structures and job markets, from industry insiders like the VP of Marketing for the Carolina Hurricanes.
Career Prospects for Sport Administration Degree Graduates
Access a wide world of opportunities with your master’s in sport administration online or on campus at Canisius. Our successful alumni from the sports master’s program are proof that you can pursue the job of your dreams with your sport administration degree. We have 1,400+ alumni across the globe, living and working in 40 states and 13 countries, with job titles like:
- Events Manager for Penn State Football
- Director of Sales for the Chicago White Sox
- VP of Finance for the Tampa Bay Lightning
- Customer Service Coordinator for the Buffalo Bills
- Director of Community Relations for the Buffalo Sabres
- Scout for the St. Louis Cardinals
Our alumni demonstrate there’s no limit to what you can achieve with your master’s in sport administration. The career field is broad and dynamic, giving you the freedom to pursue your passion in the field of your dreams.
No matter what career you pursue, our courses for sports management will help you get a competitive advantage in the job market thanks to the industry experience you’ll gain and the tremendous soft skills you’ll develop.
Future Job Outlook for master’s in sport administration graduates
- Administration Services and Facilities Managers – 2021 median salary of $99,290/year
- Agents and Business Managers – 2021 median salary of $78,410/year
- Coaches and Scouts – expected growth of 20% over next 10 years, adding nearly 50,000 new jobs