You can take multiple courses with 50-hour clinical experience placements, a full 3-credit-hour clinical practicum and a 240-hour internship in a clinical placement of your choice before you graduate. This allows you to select multiple fields of interest under the Sports Medicine umbrella and decide which career path is best for you.
The Department of Kinesiology has established clinical placements with the Buffalo Bills, HarborCenter, Canisius College Athletics, Sisters of Charity Hospital and a long list of independent physical therapy clinics, physician assistants and physician practices in Western New York.
As a student, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate as a research assistant with faculty members who have published and presented over 200 scientific articles and conference presentations. Students involved in research also have the opportunity to earn summer grant funding to conduct these projects.
Sports & Health Care students have presented their research at Ignatian Scholarship Day here at Canisius, the American College of Sports Medicine and the National Athletic Trainers’ Association. A few examples of our students published research includes:
• Efficacy of a Medically Oriented Gym in Reducing Risk Factors in an At-Risk Population.
• Physical Activity and Body Mass Index in Children with Autism
• Determining the Relationship Between Repetitive Behaviors and Physical Activity in Children with Autism.
• Comparing Weekend Activity Levels in Typically Developing Versus High-functioning Children with Autism
• The Relationship Between Activity, Resilience and Symptoms in Collegiate Athletes After Concussion
• The Feasibility and Fidelity of a CrossFit Kids-based exercise program for High-functioning Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder